Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Has anyone here gone MOBILE yet?

"Help People"? Yikes!, if that is your attitude of "helping" I'd hate to be around when you are in obnoxious mode...? But, then again, I'd never hire you for hosting or anything else. So no problem here...

Quote Originally Posted by Vger View Post

Well, maybe because we're Zen Cart Certified Hosts, and we help people with their "Zen Cart" problems? But this isn't a Zen Cart problem.

If we wanted a Mobile App for Zen Cart then we would either write it ourselves or bring in another developer or team of developers and pay them to write it.

Vger

Plugin Contributions

if that is your attitude of "helping" I'd hate to be around when you are in obnoxious mode...? But, then again, I'd never hire you for hosting or anything else
    Phew! Thats a relief. Dodged the bullet on that one.

Vger

Plugin Contributions

Phew! Thats a relief. Dodged the bullet on that one.

Vger
    Yup, Terra Network, a whole bunch of class there?? (speaking of dodging a bullet) ..

Meanwhile, aside from this nuisance (who obviously is bored due to lack of business) please continue to provide feedback on any Mobile solutions you have supplemented your Zen with. Would love to hear some genuine case studies.
    Last edited by kevinmc3; 14 Dec 2010 at 04:45 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Agreed people... Please keep the petty crap offline! This is designed to help people and I think I speak for many of us when i say I don't have time to waste reading through pages of back-and-forth from people about stupid non-topic based crap. Please move on!

As for the idea of Mobile apps. I disagree that they are dead. Many larger companies still use them. My sites and very graphic intense and therefore a Mobile app would do me good to enable faster browsing and purchasing.
    Forums are for helping people!! if you don't want to help people then shut up and get off the forum!

Plugin Contributions

All I can tell you is I get about 5-10 emails a day from a Mobile phone, from a potential customer who is looking at my site on his mobile device. I would like to be able to give him/her the ability to immediately place an order. I am looking into being able to export my Zen SQL database into a mobile solution.

P.S. Not only NOT dead. But, the last eMarketer newsletter I just read was by 2014, 70% of the population will ONLY have a mobile device to access the internet.
    "He who hesitates is a damned fool."
    — Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by outeredge2 View Post
    As for the idea of Mobile apps. I disagree that they are dead. Many larger companies still use them. My sites and very graphic intense and therefore a Mobile app would do me good to enable faster browsing and purchasing.

Plugin Contributions

I am searching for a Mobile solution also! Maybe finding a Freelancer would be the best bet!
    Forums are for helping people!! if you don't want to help people then shut up and get off the forum!

Plugin Contributions

No one is arguing against the popularity of mobile devices, esp. smart phones and tablets, and the increase in online purchases via a mobile device. This particular thread has always been about two things:

1. Do you need a specific Mobile Application website, to render your site on mobile devices in a way which is different to how it would render anyway?

The answer to that is "No". You simply need for your website to render to W3C standards and to avoid the use of Flash for buttons etc.

2. If you want a specific Mobile Application of your website then should you expect, as some people do, to have someone code it for free and then give it away to you for free?

The answer to that is also "No". It's great when a group of people like the Zen Cart team put something together, maintain it, and provide it for free - but it's not something you can expect or demand is done just because you want something but don't want to pay for it. If you want something badly and it's not available for free then you should be prepared to put your hand in your pocket and pay for it to be developed. If necessary you can always group together with a bunch of like-minded people and split the cost between you.

Everyone here who's running a Zen Cart website is doing so in order to make money and as with running any business there are business expenses as well as profits. The satisfaction comes when the income exceeds the expenditure. That's when you know you're doing things right.

By the way - there is already a "Mobile Template" available for Zen Cart from the downloads section. I haven't used it so can't vouch for it.

Vger

Plugin Contributions

I probably shouldn't bother responding but maybe it will stifle this tangent.
    Re:"free and then give it away to you for free?"

WHO in the world ever asked for FREE? The thread objective was to generate IDEAS, dialogue. That's all.

No one is arguing against the popularity of mobile devices, esp. smart phones and tablets, and the increase in online purchases via a mobile device. This particular thread has always been about two things:

1. Do you need a specific Mobile Application website, to render your site on mobile devices in a way which is different to how it would render anyway?

The answer to that is "No". You simply need for your website to render to W3C standards and to avoid the use of Flash for buttons etc.

2. If you want a specific Mobile Application of your website then should you expect, as some people do, to have someone code it for free and then give it away to you for free?

The answer to that is also "No". It's great when a group of people like the Zen Cart team put something together, maintain it, and provide it for free - but it's not something you can expect or demand is done just because you want something but don't want to pay for it. If you want something badly and it's not available for free then you should be prepared to put your hand in your pocket and pay for it to be developed. If necessary you can always group together with a bunch of like-minded people and split the cost between you.

Everyone here who's running a Zen Cart website is doing so in order to make money and as with running any business there are business expenses as well as profits. The satisfaction comes when the income exceeds the expenditure. That's when you know you're doing things right.

By the way - there is already a "Mobile Template" available for Zen Cart from the downloads section. I haven't used it so can't vouch for it.

Vger

Plugin Contributions

Vger
    Can you expand on your knowledge of the 'Mobile template'

Plugin Contributions

Mia Culpa! I had obviously seen a forum thread (a different one) called "Mobile Template" and wrongly assumed that this meant that there was one in existence. If there is then I can't find one, at least not from here - but there are quite a few commercial ones already available.

Now that mobiles, except for ancient museum pieces, don't use WAP any more then a truly Mobile Application website has quite a few obstacles to get over.

1. The main website has to "sniff" out which type of Browser is accessing the website. This is easily doable.
    2. It then has to supply a mobile stylesheet. This is easily doable and has been covered by others on these forums.
    3. But if you want to go beyond that and have a truly different website for mobiles that's where it starts to get more complicated.
    4. You would not only have to load a different template based on which browser was accessing the site, but you'd need different templates for different browser systems. You'd need one for Apple and one for Android, and there are other systems out there as well - and they all render differently.
    5. Emails sent to Mobile Browser email clients would be another ball game, as even non-mobile mail clients deal with and render emails differently.

These are just a few of the things which would have to be addressed.

I guess the starting point would be a Mobile Stylesheet and just making sure that your site, plus any add-ons it has incorporated, is fully W3C compliant. Then hope that the mobile operating system adheres to W3C standards too!

Vger

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12