Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Painfully Slow Performance - Any Idea Guys?

Ok I clearup the space now, so do you guys feeling any speed now? previously it was averagely 3+ sec to generate a page now its 1.5+ for me. how about you?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You've apparently got serious server problems, which are likely contributing to the slow performance.

ie: "126 Incorrect key file for table '/tmp/#sql_185e_0.MYI'; try to repair it"

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    You've apparently got serious server problems, which are likely contributing to the slow performance.

ie: "126 Incorrect key file for table '/tmp/#sql_185e_0.MYI'; try to repair it"
    Yeah, I have increased the server space and seems to be everything fine now. So I achieved finally average 1+ secs response time for home page and less than 1 sec for product pages.

Is this normal for zencart with more than 5000+ products?

What is the limit of zencart product database? do you know? We will have probably around 20,000 products data by next month.

Is this fine with zencart or do we need to do additional optimization for that?

Thank you guys in advance for helping us!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Zen Cart imposes no limits on number of products. Well, unless you consider 2,147,483,647 a limit.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Zen Cart imposes no limits on number of products. Well, unless you consider 2,147,483,647 a limit.
    I got scared to see your numbers man! But answered my questions!

I guess I will try to check how to optimize the database more with template caching. And if succeed will post an addon here.

Pray for us.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

disclaimer: no offense intended by the following comments

I'm not sure how template caching is related to database optimization.

If you need to increase database performance, you need to allocate enough RAM to your database to handle the queries efficiently and to allow enough internal caching of queries so that it can do what's desired of it. Most hosting companies keep these secrets under lock and key because it's what makes them more competitive in their marketplace.

But the topic of tuning your database for optimal performance, esp when you're talking about managing your own dedicated server, isn't really a Zen Cart specific issue. It's a server-administration issue, and is likely better discussed someplace where that's the primary focus of discussion, such as webhostingtalk.com

We often see this when people decide to get their own dedicated server but have limited or no experience configuring and running webservers. There's a big learning curve when you get into that arena. And you'll likely find other sites that are focused on helping people with that particular learning curve.

disclaimer: no offense intended by the following comments

I'm not sure how template caching is related to database optimization.

If you need to increase database performance, you need to allocate enough RAM to your database to handle the queries efficiently and to allow enough internal caching of queries so that it can do what's desired of it. Most hosting companies keep these secrets under lock and key because it's what makes them more competitive in their marketplace.

But the topic of tuning your database for optimal performance, esp when you're talking about managing your own dedicated server, isn't really a Zen Cart specific issue. It's a server-administration issue, and is likely better discussed someplace where that's the primary focus of discussion, such as webhostingtalk.com

We often see this when people decide to get their own dedicated server but have limited or no experience configuring and running webservers. There's a big learning curve when you get into that arena. And you'll likely find other sites that are focused on helping people with that particular learning curve.

You are right my friend. I will try to learn more dedicated staffs. As my server is dedicated and I have premium support package as well. If I ask them to do anything, they do that right away. Problem is they wont do unless you ask them to do.

If you can point out some more things, which I can ask them to do and make sure they are perfect!

Also I meant database optimize and template caching two different things. Sorry for the confusion.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by digitalvision View Post
    You are right my friend. I will try to learn more dedicated staffs. As my server is dedicated and I have premium support package as well. If I ask them to do anything, they do that right away. Problem is they wont do unless you ask them to do.

If you can point out some more things, which I can ask them to do and make sure they are perfect!

I think Ajeh picked up the reason for your slow response right away.

You're using a dual core processor, but your loads are running at around 4.

With a dual core, once your load goes above 2, instructions are waiting in a queue to be executed, so you're experiencing slow response times. (A load of 1 for each processor means it's operating at 100% capacity)

You'd be much better off keeping your server load below 20-25% of capacity.

If you're running other websites on your "dedicated" server, then it's not a dedicated server, it's just a shared server. Not only are you slowing yourself down, but your exposing your store to the possible security flaws in whatever else you're running on that box.

I run a similar configured dedicated server for my store with over 10,000 products in over 100 categories and I get over 20,000 page views a day.

My server generally shows loads in the .0x to .15 range, occasionally running up to .25-.3 when I'm getting slammed by 3-4 crawlers at once. But my store always loads pages immediately, no delays that will cause customers to flee.

You want performance? Run your store on a server all by itself. If you have a busy store, then spending a few hundred a month for a server that can handle your traffic is well worth the expense.

Ed

You guys are correct! This server is 1 Quad core processor only though I have 8GB ram and also regular hard drive may causing more slower performance. Also I do have around 3 big website on this server with 20K+ visitor per day! and that is why maybe not getting expecting result.

So, for now, I just made double for mysql cache, installed nginx, and tried to minify codes as best as possible. Will get separate server for this very soon and will check how it performs.

Thank you guys for your awesome support and help!

Plugin Contributions

I think Ed`s comments are a little wrong.

You CAN very easily run more than one site on a dedicated server with no problems at all.
    You dont need a dedicated server with just one website running on it (unless its amazon sized). Thats a little like saying you need an olympic sized swimming pool to go swimming. The truth is that most dual/quad core servers can run many hundreds/thousands of sites.

The only difference between a dedicated server and others are only you can have your sites on it.
    My humble contributions....
    Info at a Glance Admin, Alternative Header & Improved Whos Online + Currently working on the next!
    If you have to think..... your obviously looking at the admin :)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast