Plugin Contributions

Default Install: Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '/' in /includes/application_top.php

I'm new to eCommerce, and new to PHP.

Working thru the install of Zen Cart 1.3.9f with install docs from www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=107.

I get through the upload, and all of the CHMODS, etc. When I try to start the install, I get a "Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '/' in ***/catalog/includes/application_top.php on line 100" error.

The line in question starts a comment, and a cursory examination of the file appears as if there are no syntax errors in the application_top file.

Thoughts? Do I have a host web server config issue, or is it something silly I've overlooked?

Thanks in advance.

--Dan

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Install: Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '/' in /includes/application_top.

Could you try to reload the file to the server?

If you still get the error ... delete the file from the server and reload it ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Install: Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '/' in /includes/application_top.

OK, I deleted the directory and re-uploaded.

I have the info needed in the "Before running the Installer" section of the install article.

Started the installer: Got the welcome screen, so I know that PHP works on my host.

Now, when I click on "If this is the case for you, Click here to begin installation. ", I get a blank page. NO Source.

Do I have to modify the contents of the /includes/configure.php and/or /admin/includes/configure.php files with the path info for my install before I start the install? I am under the impression the install script checks and modifies these files during the initial install.

Plugin Contributions

The files:
    /includes/configure.php
    /admin/includes/configure.php

for a Clean install should be copies of the dist-configure.php files ...

for an Upgrade they should be already configured files with the proper URLs, paths and database information for the Upgrade ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Here's the source from the blank page I get when I <click here> to begin an initial install:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
    <HTML><HEAD>
    <META content="text/html; charset=windows-1252" http-equiv=Content-Type></HEAD>
    <BODY></BODY></HTML>

Perhaps PHP is not working on the host server?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Have you run zc_install yet?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Yes. Same behavior whether I use the link or use zc_install: blank page with the source of the page listed above.

I'm thinking something's amiss with the ftp upload - unreported ftp errors?. Had problems the first time, now (different) problems the second time. Time to use a different ftp client and see what happens.

Host is 1and1.com. Any known issues with 1and1?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

There have been performance issues reported with that host.
    I don't recall whether there were FTP-specific issues.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

The issue appears to have been my ftp client.

I switched to Firezilla 3.3.4.1, started the install from scratch, and the installation went exactly as the documentation described. No blank pages, no unexpected error messages, successful install with demo data in... 5? min.

The FTP client with issues is Wise-FTP version 3.0.0.7 - the ftp client supplied by 1and1.com with their hosting packages. http://www.wise-ftp.com.

Thank you, Ajeh and Dr Byte, for your posts.

--Dan