Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default 500 Internal Server Error on GoDaddy hosting

ZC 1.3.8a
    HTTP Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.0
    PHP Version: 5.2.5
    Database: MySQL 5.0.91

I keep getting more than the occasional 500 error, several a day in fact. My site will be humming along fine but then I'll notice it beginning to bog down until finally I receive the 500 error.
    I ran mysqlcheck and found nothing amiss there, so I'm wondering if a script is causing the hang up.

Could someone with firebug or wedev take a quick peak and tell me if there might be an issue with a script or two?
    Tidy isn't showing me anything critical but I'd appreciate some fresh eyes and or opinions.
    http://minu.me/2tc5

Thank you,
    Stephen

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: 500 Internal Server Error

Quote Originally Posted by jabbawest View Post
    My site will be humming along fine but then I'll notice it beginning to bog down until finally I receive the 500 error.
    Have you talked to your hosting company about this problem? Sounds like a server issue.

Plus, about the "scripts" you mention (I assume you mean "javascript" since you talked about checking with firebug), unless they're doing ajax, then the 500 error is almost certainly unrelated, since a "500 Internal Server Error" is being sent to you by the *server*, when *it* encounters an error ... and javascript doesn't run on the *server* (it runs in the browser only).

A good server administrator will be able to find specific error details explaining the cause of "500" errors in the server logs. That's the best place to start when trying to figure out what's causing those problems.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I've talked with the G.D. hosting, and unfortunately, since I'm on Windows hosting, there's no database error logging option.
    I ran the same mysqlchecks they did and came up with bupkiss, just like they did.
    This didn't start happening until I received my SSL cert and was moved onto another server.
    Guess it's time to kick up the support level a notch tomorrow, no wait, Monday would probably be better.

Thanks Dr. Bytes

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

They have a very consistent reputation of overloading their servers (actually "overselling" to line their pockets, which causes overloading of CPU resources) and denying it, as well as offering very poor support. Sometimes if you're persistent enough you can escalate up several levels to senior tech support staff who might actually *know* something and thus *might* be able to do something to help you. Usually before you can get that far you experience numerous attempts to upsell you to a more expensive hosting plan which promises to be much better because they say it can be customizable more to your own needs. But the truth is that what they're upselling you to is only good for a few weeks/months until they oversell that server too. Plus, you can get even better server capability if you go with a *real* hosting plan with a company who hosts Zen Cart sites specifically, so it's worth going *there* long before you waste even another dime on sticking with GD.
    Or, at least that's my experience anyway. Hundreds of others have reported similarly.
    Good luck escalating to the top. Be very persistent and don't take no for an answer until you get someone who is giving you real solutions.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: 500 Internal Server Error on GoDaddy hosting

Well, I could not wait so I called GD and they checked their server logs for errors at the time stamps I provided them and came up with nothing on there end.

Doing some research on the issue I found that it could be a problem with a script on my end that is not compatible with the ASP.Net 2.0/3.0/3.5 but was written for a previous version.
    GD also claimed that they had not been getting any similar support calls regarding the particular server I'm on.

Here's what my web.config error checking is reporting:
    http://minu.me/2tdx

Plugin Contributions

http://minu.me/2te8
    I have a same problem with two installs(6.10, 6.9) on my hosting. CGI scripts just ocasionally timeout and the result is error 500
    Tried couple things and cannot figure it out. Looks like more and more people see the same thing though.
    Problems occure when I try to do different things but most often when accessing modules settings. Sometimes it happens on let's say trying to add content.
    Often after refresh everything works well. And usually changes are done (like content is added/modules activated).
    Actually, now that I think about it, this does seem to be the scenario when the 500's occur.
    I, or my wife, are adding product, fixing descriptions and the like through the admin when it occurs.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

So, you're saying that when working in your admin area, editing products, you're getting a message saying:

"HTTP Error 500.0 - Internal Server Error C:\php5\php-cgi.exe - The FastCGI process exceeded configured activity timeout"

Plugin Contributions

I've pm'ed the good Doctor about this with some details that should remain private, but for any one else that may be watching, let's see if this might sound like a plausible scenario for the cgi error that's causing the 500 errors.

I only have one file in my cgi-bin folder and that would be a sitemapxml.php which is related to Andrew Berezin's Sitemap XML Feed module.
    With that said, while working on the backend adding product or updating a description, the sitemapxml.php writes that new information to the various file like, sitemapproducts.xml and causes the 500 error until the data has been passed on.

Does that sound possible??

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    So, you're saying that when working in your admin area, editing products, you're getting a message saying:

"HTTP Error 500.0 - Internal Server Error C:\php5\php-cgi.exe - The FastCGI process exceeded configured activity timeout"
    Yes, but the error is site wide.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

As for sitemapxml, if you think it's maybe the problem, then turn it off to rule it out. I doubt it's related, but rule it out anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast