Plugin Contributions

red flag Additional Admins set via Admin->Tools->Admin Settings cannot login

Same issue two installations....

Admins created through Admin->Tools->Admin Settings cannot login. Receive "You entered the wrong username or password." Error in Admin Login box. Resetting passwords in admin does not effect. Changing passwords directly in database to the same as the initial Admin does not work. Resetting passwords through "Resend Password" function changes password in database, but does not work. Renaming .htaccess does not allow entry of additional admins.... Only the initial install admin functions correctly.

I've done a few stores in my time, but I have actually never set an extra admin, so I haven't ever noticed this as a problem.

However, in the case of this installation, I actually need multiple admins. Any assistance would be appreciated.

ZC - v1.3.9d Fresh Install
    OS - Linux 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5PAE
    PHP - 5.2.12
    + Zend: 2.2.0
    Safe Mode Off
    MySQL - 4.1.22-standard
    Addons - AusPost, Group Pricing (per Item)

ZC - v1.3.9d Fresh Install
    OS - Linux 2.6.18-194.8.1.el5
    PHP - 5.2.14
    + Zend 2.2.0
    Safe Mode Off
    MySQL - 5.0.91-community
    Addons - AusPost

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Additional Admins set via Admin->Tools->Admin Settings cannot login

1. v1.3.9d is not the latest version.

2. Admin logins are case-sensitive, and require an exact match on the admin username and password. The email address is only used for sending a password reset.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Ah yes, the ever helpful not the most immediate version...

And this is mentioned as a bug fix for e or f? No. I checked before I posted. You forgot to note that one of the servers was also running a major version behind on MySQL and both were not running the bleeding edge of latest unstable beta release Linux...

What the 2 servers are would be a fairly representative sample of the current state of production servers as a whole. One fairly recent, one not completely recent with some things definitively out of date. Everything is not immediately updated with the latest batch of twitchy, unstable patches, because in a production environment, you can't just break things and then spend hours or days trying to track down what introduced the new problems. You test what you will be installing or upgrading against what you have running. The Fantastico! auto installer on just about every cP installation out there runs a couple of steps behind because of such reasons. This is the reality of the world, not the ideal. The DB has not changed from d to f, and there have only been minor revisions, none of which are related to the issue at hand (one of which improved function with that outdated version of MySQL on that really crappy server).

I am fairly sure I matched the capitalization and passwords as well. After all, I got nearly all of that similar stuff correct in my original post (including really complicated stuff like punctuation).

As I said, this is not my first rodeo (yes, I know I did not say "this is not my first rodeo"), even if this would be my first appearance around ZC in a few years.

Shall I explain? I was a contrib back in the early days of TEP (know that one?), and dispensed advice and made anonymous contributions to many modules through tons of hours in osC IRC (HPDL used to never log on and would loose admin in his own channel so, I kept it registered and active for ages). I was around doing CRE and Ian's original 'many contributions pkg' installs while "part-timing" it at CRW with Sal while Ian (wilt) was busily splitting himself across the multiple projects and eventually got just as tired as many of us were at seeing no progress at all with osC... and thereby I was peripherally involved initial testing with, early installs of and donated toward Ian's new baby which became ZenCart. This was around the same time HPDL was bumping the indicator on osC from 2.0 to 2.1 to 2.2RC (where I am pretty sure it still is after some 7-8 years, I suppose IRC isn't the only thing HPDL can't remember to check in on). The last time I chatted with Ian was probably a year before this forum went up, which was (according to your account creation date) about 8 months before you showed up and found Zen.

Thanks for the enlightening, and ever so helpful education .

BTW - Are all 44,000 of your posts so brilliant? I burned out a long time ago trying to make meaningful, helpful replies, full of long explanations, code fixes and work-arounds... but 6 years and 44,000 posts of this type of marvelous, insightful, extensive, vast gold standard information is completely unimaginable. You must be superhuman.

See you in another 8 years, I'm out.

Plugin Contributions

I think you need to look at your specific installations. If this "bug" really existed in any version of Zen Cart, there would be an awful lot of people reporting it (including every single one of my clients).

But while you're focussed on the idea that it's a Zen Cart problem, you're throwing up a big block to finding the actual cause, or even allowing us to help you to to track it down.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Kuroi,

Don't make the assumption that I believe this is truly a ZenCart problem, this is a strange issue that I had not run across previously, and I was merely trying to find info as to whether or not this had popped up before.

You've answered my question as to whether or not you have experienced anything like it. Thank you.

I am actually leaning toward this particular host's security 'genius' as being the problem... plenty of crutches everywhere propping up outdated software, and lots of special configuration to lock things out for customers while leaving 2 year gaping holes for hackers.

I also have a problem using js to load flash with this particular host's servers. What works everywhere else, does not work with these guys. Also, it only took them 3 days to figure out how to turn on the port for webdav, so, perhaps I should wait for them to answer my long list of queries about their particularly peculiar configurations... Of course, if someone else had seen something like this in the past, my problem may have been quickly resolved.

No big deal... I will keep pulling back the layers.

I already made the suggestion to move to these particular clients, before ever starting this project. Yeah, I know, but as I have said before, what happens in the real world is never ideal.

Plugin Contributions

I suppose as one of the Zen Cart Developers he is compelled to come and answer your question with such marvelous, insightful, extensive, vast gold standard information. Yes, he must be superhuman because with such eloquent responses as yours, I would have given up answering questions a long time ago and stuck to coding the next version.....
    Mike
    GeekHost - Zen Cart Certified & PCI Compliant Hosting
    The Zen Cart Forum...Better than a monitor covered with post-it notes!