Plugin Contributions

red flag Permissions...Configure.php

Right, hope you can help im going mad. Had Zen Cart working perfectly for months. Host upgraded my server to PHP5.

Had to change the paths in my configure.php to the new location. Done.

Website works, but I have the Red warning bar stating i need to set permissions to 644/444.

Ive done that in the file manager in my admin panel...it IS 644. Still have the message.

Emailed host and asked for 444, got the below reply:

Our file manager will never let you change a file to permissions that disallow your own access to a file (so anything below 6xx). FTP clients will also try and make the change but this will fail for the same reason (although silently, this isn't something we can change).

For this reason, you cannot change files to have 444 permissions on our shared hosting cluster because you will also not have access to modify this file or change the permissions back in future at any point. Actions like this are normally only carried out on hosting platforms wherein you have root access to the server space to override the change in future (for example on a VPS or Dedicated Server).

If you wish to disallow access to a file from a web browser then I recommend using a .htaccess file that displays a 403 denied message on access.

Should you require any further assistance, please take a look through our online knowledge base which contains many useful guides:
    - http://www.names.co.uk/knowledge
    Kind Regards,

Adam Cowell
    Support Team
    Namesco Limited

Now, this was NEVER a problem before PHP5 which means we've clearly set the permissions correctly in the past.

Should I call my host and tell them they are bit thick, or am I just a bit stupid?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Permissions...Configure.php

A 644 permission setting will be fine, as this allows the owner of the file to edit it, but no-one else. The standard 777 pretty much allows any script on the server to alter the file, which is why you want to change it once the setup has completed.

This isn't something which is necessarily a PHP5 related bug. We have PHP5 running on all of our servers, and don't experience this issue.

When you change it in the File Manager, does it actually change the permissions? To check this, log into File Manager, change the permissions to 0644, then logout, and log in again, and check that the file changes have in fact taken effect.

Also, are you changing both the store and admin configure file permissions?

Absolute
    Back, after a 4 year absence! Did you miss me?
    Absolute Web Solutions Ltd
    Interested in our work? Take a look at one of our sites - The Tech Store