Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: upgrade for dummies?

if we have to do sequential updates, or do we just have to read through both update version's changelogs to figure out what exactly is being updated.
    Like I stated - - you only have to concern yourself with your customized files and if they have a new version or not

I have upgraded to "h" from 1.3.8a directly - - just pay attention to your custom files.....core files need to be from the new version
    Please don't take offense, but I've noticed in a lot of your posts you're quite short with people.
    No offense - - I only volunteer here and sometimes I should be sleeping or something else besides being here....
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Still not really the answer to the question at all, but I've got it figured out.

Thanks for your assistance, it's appreciated.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kobra View Post
    You first need to create a new database, user & pass to provide when you install the new version

And, First backup all your current shop file and it's database in the event you do mess something up
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=103
    Ive set up a new database with user but it seems I have to install the new version before I can link them together. The install step is the one thats got me worried at the moment as it says ...
    Ready to Install? (This will wipe any existing data. You are NOT in Upgrade mode!!!)

How do I get in Upgrade mode?

Plugin Contributions

Ive set up a new database with user but it seems I have to install the new version before I can link them together.
    Yes - - the new database is empty and you install the new version and it creates the proper configures for the location tyou are installing to

Afyter this has been a success you use something like phpmyadmin to import a db backup from your live shop into this new database and re-run zc_install - - upgrade the db only at this point
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Yes - - the new database is empty and you install the new version and it creates the proper configures for the location tyou are installing to

Afyter this has been a success you use something like phpmyadmin to import a db backup from your live shop into this new database and re-run zc_install - - upgrade the db only at this point
    Thanks Kobra
    This is where Ive got to now but Im still stuck...

• I have copied everything from the public_html file on my server to my hard drive using FTP.
    • I've backed up the database to my hard drive.
    • I've done a full backup on my server which includes all of the files in my home directory, MySQL Databases, and my email forwarders and filters.
    • I have also set up a new database on my server in MySQL Databases.
    • I have also now got the WinMerge application that it said I will need, although not tried to use it yet.

• I have my present shop in public_html/shop on the server
    • I have put the Zen Cart upgrade in public_html/demo although I haven't installed it yet.

When I am ready to install, it says...
    Ready to Install? (This will wipe any existing data. You are NOT in Upgrade mode!!!)
    I've no idea how to get in Upgrade mode

Plugin Contributions

When I am ready to install, it says...
    I've no idea how to get in Upgrade mode
    Reposting
    Yes - - the new database is empty and you install the new version and it creates the proper configures for the location you are installing to

Being empty there is no data to lose

After this has been a success you use something like phpmyadmin to import a db backup from your live shop into this new database and re-run zc_install - - upgrade the db only at this point
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Reposting
    Yes - - the new database is empty and you install the new version and it creates the proper configures for the location you are installing to

Being empty there is no data to lose

After this has been a success you use something like phpmyadmin to import a db backup from your live shop into this new database and re-run zc_install - - upgrade the db only at this point
    Thanks for being patient Kobra
    So before I go ahead and click the dreaded install button can I just check that...
    • Even though I am doing an Upgrade it doesn't matter that it says Ready to Install? (This will wipe any existing data. You are NOT in Upgrade mode!!!)
    • After I have installed the new Zen Cart Upgrade version to my demo area, I then link it to the new database that Ive set up.

• Installing this new version won't change/delete my present Zen Cart shop untill I put the new version live

Plugin Contributions

* After I have installed the new Zen Cart Upgrade version to my demo area, I then link it to the new database that Ive set up.
    Not exactly - as during the install you will provide the new db name user & pass for this new install to use
    Then see my comment about after this is successful

* Installing this new version won't change/delete my present Zen Cart shop untill I put the new version live
    Not as long as you have and use the new database that we have been discussing

Your live shop has it's own set of files and it's own database
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Not exactly - as during the install you will provide the new db name user & pass for this new install to use
    Then see my comment about after this is successful

Not as long as you have and use the new database that we have been discussing

Your live shop has it's own set of files and it's own database
    Thanks kobra.
    Will this become my new database? I have this new one called _demotest. Can I change this name later or can I revert to my old database name?

Plugin Contributions

Will this become my new database?
    Yes - - I would not attempt to change it later as only you should know what the DB name is
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast