Plugin Contributions

red flag Zen Cart - Encrypted Buttons for PayPal Website Payments Standard - IPN

re; Zen Cart - Encrypted Buttons for PayPal Website Payments Standard - IPN

Zen Cart 1.3.9g

Does PayPal Website Payments Standard - IPN support encrypted buttons yet ?

re; Error Message on Zen Cart order confirmation as follows;

"The seller accepts encrypted website payments only. You cannot pay the seller through un-encrypted buttons. Please contact your seller for more details."

I know I can turn encrypted buttons off via PAYPAL and it works fine when it's turned off.

I was just wondering if or when Zen Cart will offer encrypted buttons for PayPal Website Payments Standard - IPN. Or will this encrypted buttons option never be offered via Zen Cart PayPal Website Payments Standard - IPN ?
    Last edited by HeyIts007; 23 Oct 2010 at 02:50 PM.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Zen Cart - Encrypted Buttons for PayPal Website Payments Standard - IPN

There are no plans to add that support into Zen Cart at the present time, for several reasons.

Further, using Express Checkout is more reliable and more contemporary, and presents a more effective overall solution and shopping experience for the customer. And, since it completes the payment process while the customer is still present with your website, Express Checkout actually stores order details *when* they happen, instead of how the Website Payments Standard method must wait for PayPal to notify the store in the background and be subject to all manner of possible glitches that could prevent it from happening.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

red flag Re: Zen Cart - Encrypted Buttons for PayPal Website Payments Standard - IPN

Ahhh thanks for that advice. The only issue with Express Checkout is that it seems to require an API Signature and it appears that you might need a Merchant Business PAYPAL account to get that ? Or can I get that with a Premier PAYPAL account ?

To get a PAYPAL Merchant Business account I need a registered business number, which I don't have at present.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Zen Cart - Encrypted Buttons for PayPal Website Payments Standard - IPN

OK It looks like I have been able to get the Zen Cart PAYPAL Express Checkout setup under PAYPAL Premier Account. I had to generate the API Username, Password and Signature, via the PAYPAL Profile Manager. VIA IPN Settins and API Access settings. I then Installed the Express Checkout Payment Module and entered those details.

The issue still is that Zen Cart is still Diverting the user / web browser to PAYPAL website for payment. Is there a way to keep the user / web browser at the Zen Cart site instead of going to the PAYPAL web site ?
    Last edited by HeyIts007; 23 Oct 2010 at 04:03 PM.

Plugin Contributions

red flag Re: Zen Cart - Encrypted Buttons for PayPal Website Payments Standard - IPN

The PAYPAL Customise your Payment Page options seem very limited. The result of the custom page option seems to leave much to be desired. I would much rather the user stay at my own shopping cart site. Can that be achieved using the PAYPAL Express Checkout module ?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by HeyIts007 View Post
    I would much rather the user stay at my own shopping cart site. Can that be achieved using the PAYPAL Express Checkout module ?
    No. That can ONLY be done by signing up for PayPal Website Payments Pro, which is essentially a merchant account and carries a monthly fee, and requires a credit check/application and probably requires you to upgrade to a business account.

To pay via PayPal requires sending the customer to the PayPal page temporarily to complete payment, and then return to your site. It works that way with Website Payments Standard and with Express Checkout.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Interestingly, when I allowed cookies from my site, and did a payment test with the Checkout Express module installed, it stayed at my own site and did not go off to PAYPAL yet still processed the transaction successfully.

I did not use the yellow PAYPAL Express Checkout button, but the normal slower Checkout button sequence and the transaction worked this time and quickly. ( it worked faster than the PAYPAL Express Checkout yellow button )

Also it did not prompt me for any credit card details. This might be because of my adjusting my browser security or that Zen Cart already had my previous credit transaction details available ? Still exploring this thing. Quite a bit to learn here.