Hybrid View

Plugin Contributions

Default the maximum per package weight for the selected service . . . is 150 pounds

Before I took my USPS shipping out of test mode, I received a normal statement on the shipping estimator popup to enter my state and zip code. Then it just returned no information.

After taking out of USPS test mode, instead of a shipping estimate, my estimate popup states under Available Shipping Method:

Shipping (the maximum per package weight for the selected service from the selected country is 150 pounds.)
    I searched on Google for that message and it appears it comes from United Parcel Service, and there are lots of carts receiving that message, and not much in the way of help in stopping the message.

One of the bothersome things is that, when this message appears on the Shipping page, it doesn't include the word "Shipping" before the parentheses, and just shows the text enclosed in parentheses, which makes the punctuation incorrect, making the page seem not well edited.

The cause of this message is most likely that the shipping weight is derived from a total shipping weight on the product page. However, the weights of the different components are available.

Is there a way to show the different package weights somehow, so that the 150 lb. UPS message will not be triggered, and still have the UPS weights calculate in the cart?

An example of this is seen at:

[URL="http://www.gokaraokemachine.com/wampcopytest/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21_28&products_id=191[/URL]

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Last edited by notageek; 7 Nov 2010 at 05:58 PM. Reason: replace active site URL with test site URL

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: the maximum per package weight for the selected service . . . is 150 pounds

Before I took my USPS shipping out of test mode

still have the UPS weights calculate in the cart?

You are vacilating back & forth between UPS and USPS?????

Which one are you wanting to use?
    Which one is installed in your admin?

As far as text
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=38
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=39
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: the maximum per package weight for the selected service . . . is 150 pounds

Shipping methods, such as UPS and USPS request real time quotes from those servers ...

UPS and USPS does not ship to all places based on the same rules ... each country ... even down to the specific zip code ... has its own rules about what shipping methods are available ...

A Maximum Weight of 150 may get some results for UPS, but it will not get results for USPS as they do not ship packages for the same Maximum Weight as UPS ...

NOTE: test mode for the USPS is pretty iffy and you should use the Production Server for your testing ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

It should be noted that to see the message you will need to go through the checkout process up to the shipping estimate popup and the shipping page. This is a test server with Authorize.net in test mode, but USPS is not in test mode.

You will also see the wonderful Ceon Advanced Shipper module in action. I have shipping set up with UPS to ship equipment via UPS Ground, and USPS to ship software at either media mail or priority mail rates.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the above responses.

I only mentioned the USPS aspect to show that the Zen Cart itself is working as it should, and once the production mode for USPS was activated, the "real" quotes came through. This, in my mind, verifies that the message comes from UPS, along with all the information I found on Google.

I am only concerned immediately with the UPS message, and finding the best way to list a product that is over 150 lbs. in the total weight of all the included packages. In the example being used, I have a product which is shipped in 6 boxes, with a total weight of 168 pounds which is the shipping weight shown in the cart.

Maybe I need to state in the product listing somewhere that additional charges will apply to weight over 150 lbs., and then place 150 lbs. in the shipping for all products over 150 lbs.

Maybe there could be a dummy companion product or two for the client to select, just to obtain the additional shipping weight.

I will contact UPS about this to see if they have a solution. If they have a recommendation, I will post it.

Thanks again.

Plugin Contributions

I have a product which is shipped in 6 boxes
    Check your max box weight set in admin > config > Shipping/Packaging > Enter the Maximum Package Weight you will ship >

This is in a single box
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Maybe this is a situation where I need to go through and calculate the weights and UPS charges myself, to various locations, and then add some sort of handling charge to cover the probable actual shipping cost. That is new territory for me, completely, so I will appreciate any comments on the best way to apply a surcharge.

Plugin Contributions

In Admin>Configuration>Shipping/Packaging I tried maximum weight per box at 50 and 5000, with no change in the UPS 150-pound maximum message.

Plugin Contributions

The UPS module has a Handling Fee entry
    The shipping has a tare for small and large packages to account for packaging weight/cost

One can add an if loop for specific cases that apply to a class of products to the shipping module in question if needed
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

with no change in the UPS 150-pound maximum message.
    Edit the message
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten