Plugin Contributions

Default moving header logo & nav bars around..

Hi there

Have been working with new ZenCart install for a day or two and gradually getting to grips with it, assisted by the excellent info on here. I'm stuck with a question - how can I move/remove the top bar of the header (with the Home/Log In/Search fields) - preferably to the bottom of the header logo image. ie I'd like the header image to form the very top of the index page, with the default top bar moved below it. I have successfully moved/resized etc the logo already, I just can't find where to go to move the top header bar position.

Also, I'd like to remove altogether the horizontal navbar, since it's effectively duplication of the sidebar(s), but can't see anywhere obvious (in the admin panel or in the php/css files) to do so.

Any advice gratefully received :-)

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: moving header logo & nav bars around..

I just can't find where to go to move the top header bar position.
    3rd party module to make it easy
    http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=132
    Also, I'd like to remove altogether the horizontal navbar
    What bar??

A Link to your site removes questions
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kobra View Post
    3rd party module to make it easy
    http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=132

What bar??

A Link to your site removes questions
    Hi Kobra

thanks indeed for the quick reply - v helpful. The tpl_header.php you pointed to effected the header position flip - thanks for that (seemed to also confirm I hadn't missed something obvious too!)

re the remaining nav bar, pls see http://www.vogbrewery.co.uk/store/ (apologies as it's a total hacked up mess right now as I chip the corners off the default template to get it toward what I need...) The horizontal nav bar I'm referring to is the one starting with the 'hardware' link which is now combined with the bar from the top which has now dropped below the header logo. Can I enable/disable it somewhere obvious in the admin control panel? I worked out how to turn on/off main body items like "featured items" etc but have so far drawn a blank on this one..

thanks in advance for any advice...

Plugin Contributions

admin > config > layout settings > Categories-Tabs Menu ON/OFF > set to off
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kobra View Post
    admin > config > layout settings > Categories-Tabs Menu ON/OFF > set to off
    Ahh nice one thanks sorted now, easy when you know what the actual thing is called that you're looking for!! :-)

Finding Zencart great so far, just keep getting frustrated trying to find where to change things! Somethings are enabled/disabled in the Tools_LayoutBoxesController, some in Tools_DefinePagesEditor, some in Configuration_IndexListing, some in Configuration_CategoriesTabsMenuON/OFF, etc etc, and some only (it seems) via editing php files...

The hardest thing as a newbee is knowing what descriptors are given to what - at least with that information it's reasonably straightforward to do searches via the admin developers' toolkit search.

It strikes me that many of the above config appearance tweaks are closely related and appear almost randomly categorized in terms of where the admin function to change them is located! I understand it's a case of steep initial learning curve with something like this, I'm just struggling to find the patterns of thought required to build the knowledge intuitively and keep having to make notes of what changes what where!!

thanks for the advice so far anyhoo :-)

Plugin Contributions

Lots of admin functions were added in the early years without a grand plan or inherited from osCommerce, so some of them are in locations that now don't make much sense.
    There is a complete admin overhaul scheduled for a future version, after critical front-end upgrades.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gjh42 View Post
    Lots of admin functions were added in the early years without a grand plan or inherited from osCommerce, so some of them are in locations that now don't make much sense.
    There is a complete admin overhaul scheduled for a future version, after critical front-end upgrades.
    that makes sense - and explains some of my confusion... also confirms it's not (purely) down to brain atrophy on my part