Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Apparel Boutique Template Support Thread

If I might chime in, having gone through this process fixed width vs fluid or 100% width. There are two schools of thought.

100%/fluid width tends to adjust better to various monitor resolution settings. The problem is that with newer monitors (higher resolution) it can create alot of white space and start not looking as nice. I believe that kmart and amazon are examples of fuller width. (Although with their talent pool can probably get around drawbacks.)

Fixed width is somewhat easier to design for, as you can put in a photo and pretty much know how it will look. Most templates are by-passing the old 800x600 resolution, and those will have a horizontal scroll bar. All templates should look good in say 1024x678 and up. To a point. At very high resolution it can start looking skinny. Walmart used to be this way, and I think the default zen cart is this way: template set at about 750px width in stylesheet.

Most sites are now set about 950px or so in stylesheet (per our seo guy) which overall tends to look best in various monitor resolutions and gives good control of layout design. Target, Macy's & Bestbuy are some that should be about our width.

If your's looks especially narrow then you probably have a high resolution monitor?

If you try to "fix" your site at a larger width, say 1000px or more, you will have a problem with horizontal scroll bars in many monitors.

In short, yes there is a reason for this size. But your call as to what school to follow.

PS: Some sites try for optical illusion, having width about our size for most of site, but having header area full width, to cut down on whitespace and narrow impression. The ic-athmeme (?) zc template which I've used does this.
    Steve--Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a well thought out post. I agree 100% and could not have said it better

Plugin Contributions

thanyou sph. It was indeed very clear. But i would think this problem is just about solved in many developed countries, since almost all people have a decent monitor.........then again i could be wrong since i am just starting to understand these things

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by aras View Post
    thanyou sph. It was indeed very clear. But i would think this problem is just about solved in many developed countries, since almost all people have a decent monitor.........then again i could be wrong since i am just starting to understand these things
    You're welcome. Last night when I wrote this I did it on my laptop which is I think 1024x768 resolution. My site template filled up the monitor nicely, as the 950px stylesheet width will at this resolution.

Now, back on my desktop at 1680x1050 resolution, my site definitely has whitespace on each side. But not horribly narrow...perhaps your monitor resolution is even higher.

1024x768 is still a very popular resolution. Perhaps in a few years it will go the way of 800x600 and less templates will be designed for it (so no horizontal scroll bar.)

You should be able to change your monitor resolution, you might try it to see how your site changes.

Plugin Contributions

I just wanted to post that the template has been approved and is available for download in the Free Software Add Ons section

Plugin Contributions

wow sph, i tried it with different resolutions and there is a big difference. Though the sites which normally fill my screen were still filling my screen at low resolution but didnt look as appealing.

Lol thanks for enlighting me. I feel like a child again, discovering new things in a unknown world.

Picaflor,I feel like i am a asking annoying questions, but what did you start with to make this template? i mean did you get the classic 1.3.? and changed it into this template, or a random other template or........
    Last edited by aras; 16 Nov 2010 at 06:08 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by aras View Post
    wow sph, i tried it with different resolutions and there is a big difference. Though the sites which normally fill my screen were still filling my screen at low resolution but didnt look as appealing.

Lol thanks for enlighting me. I feel like a child again, discovering new things in a unknown world.

Yes, it seems that (and depending upon resolution/monitor) our choices are fixed width with the possibility of whitespace along the sides, or 100%/fluid width with the possibility of whitespace WITHIN our site, with things becoming spread out.

Plugin Contributions

Picaflor,I feel like i am a asking annoying questions, but what did you start with to make this template? i mean did you get the classic 1.3.? and changed it into this template, or a random other template or........
    For the free templates I always start from scratch, or from another one of my free template packages.

Plugin Contributions

Anne, today I switched to having subcategories and also learned how to keep the subcats always open if I choose.

http://www.prommart.com/

Precious Formals category.

How do I remove the arrow so that the top category Precious Formals is to the left?

Thanks.

Steve

Plugin Contributions

How do I remove the arrow so that the top category Precious Formals is to the left?
    go to includes/templates/apparel_boutique/images

and replace bc_cat_pointer_down.gif with 1x1_transparent.gif

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by picaflor-azul View Post
    go to includes/templates/apparel_boutique/images

and replace bc_cat_pointer_down.gif with 1x1_transparent.gif
    Thanks! But I've been googling and reading that for seo perhaps it's better to have subcats closed!

Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast