Plugin Contributions

Default Please select a payment method for your order

Hi,

we have a shop that was 1.39d and got some Paypal payment issues. It is our only payment method and due to this we can't open our shop, and we have a product launch right now! We upgraded to 1.3.9h but it didn't solve the issue.

So, we get also this "please select the payment method", and we tested to change like here:

Select Cheapest Shipping Automatically: No (was previously yes and prevented people from being able to choose "Walk-In")
    Skip Payment Page: No (it was set to yes, though I don't remember which was the default)
    Transaction Currency: Selected Country (Was set to EUR)

We have also noted that if we go to CHECKOUT from the shopping cart, all goes fine and we can choose Paypal as payment method. Transaction happens and get registered an order in the admin side. If we anyhow use the DIRECT BUTTON TO Paypal from the shopping cart, we go to Paypal site, all works fine until we come back to the shop and it asks the payment method: there is nothing to choose and the system in this case doesn't mark that we came from Paypal already (even if in the CHECKOUT case it works).

This Paypal button from the shopping cart page must be either removed or fixed what ever bug / setting confusion it has. The end-user will not understand that it COULD work via checkout process.

Elli
    I may be blond but at least I found Zen.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Please select a payment method for your order

Sounds like it's having trouble matching country/zone details coming back from PayPal, possibly due to you removing several countries from the store's database.

Further, if you're using v1.3.9h then you have a switch in your Express Checkout settings to allow you to turn off the PayPal button of the shopping cart page.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I think we just find out the reason for the problems:

earlier when we have installed this very shop (or in any installation by anyone) ZenCart takes the information of the shop but it has been impossible to "not select" some State. Since the shop is in Finland, we do not need any states here. Just was going through the configuration of "my store" and realised there was still "Alabama" as Zone. After just clicking it it emptied and I saved the settings.

Of course it came in my mind instantly to check if the Paypal button from the shopping cart works now and actually the steps went like this:
    1) Paypal button from the shopping cart page
    2) payment in Paypal
    3) Checkout success page

-> the order was in the admin.
    So, actually it didn't ask anything about shipping (the product was physical, not a download) and neither about payment method. It just marked the order done and showed success page for the customer. This is fine or at least better for us than not working at all. Do you think that the behaviour is correct?

It would be nice to get the "Alabama" issue away, since it must be always remembered the removed from the My store configuration afterwards. But I'm glad if this info helps somebody else as well!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

no, that doesn't sound like correct behaviour. There should be a confirmation page, else the payment isn't being collected.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Further, if you're using v1.3.9h then you have a switch in your Express Checkout settings to allow you to turn off the PayPal button of the shopping cart page.
    It looked I was just lucky once when it went through from the shopping cart directly. I put the setting OFF for the shopping cart button now but unless there is some delay (caching db etc.) it failed to removed the Paypal button. It is still there in the shopping cart.

Plugin Contributions

So, I took the paypal button away from tpl of shopping cart but then we get another Paypal button before going to the checkout, asking if the customer just would like to pay straight. And again if we use that option and it collects the payment data first from Paypal, it is not finding the PAYMENT METHOD on the checkout payment page!

How can this be so like this...

editing:
    if I add "moneyorder" payment method, then the shop knows that the customer coming back from Paypal has the payment method "Paypal". So, ZenCart needs to have atleast 2 payment methods in case the other one of them is Paypal. Otherwise it just doesn't work (except if you avoid paypal until the checkout confirmation page).
    Last edited by ellivir; 11 Nov 2010 at 10:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

None of that is normal behavior. Something's wrong with your site's files.