Plugin Contributions

Default Free shipping on order total, problems when some items already have free shipping

Okay, here goes. I have a store with the following rules on shipping:

* Shipping is based on order total. Orders below $50 for US residents get a flat rate of $5.00 shipping. Orders at $50 or over get free shipping.

* Orders in Canada get a flat rate of $7.50 across the board.

(We've disallowed signups in countries outside of USA/Canada, so those two countries are the only zones I'm dealing with). I've set up our ZenCart store as follows:

* Since we base shipping on order total (or, in the past, table rates) I've set the weights on all my products to 0.

* There are a number of products in our store that set up with 'always free shipping.'

* I currently have two shipping modules enabled--freeshipper and Zone Rates. Zone Rates is set up for USA and Canada. I'm using the zone table rates to implement the flat rate shipping for both countries (USA is set up, for example, with "49.99:5.00,5000:0").

For the most part, everything above works perfectly for me, with one exception. Suppose I have a USA customer with two products in the cart. One item is $40 and the other is $20 (for an order total of $60). If both are products with regular shipping, then free shipping kicks in as expected. BUT, if that $20 product already has 'always free shipping,' then ZenCart is still charging the $5 shipping, even though the order total is technically $60.

Am I missing something in the setup, or is it possible that something is awry in my installation? Is there another way to set this up so that my zone rates are preserved, and I can have free shipping based purely on the order total?

In advance, thanks for any and all advice!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Free shipping on order total, problems when some items already have free shipping

If a Product is marked Always Free Shipping, then that Product is Free Shipping to Everyone ...

The Shipping on Zones should adjust the Price, Item Count or Weight for when a Product is Always Free Shipping ...

If I buy the $40.00 Product and the $20.00 Product that is Always Free Shipping ... then I would get the charge based on $40.00 ... as regardless, the $20.00 Product is marked Always Free Shipping so that is not part of the $60.00 price for shipping ... that price is adjusted to $40.00 for the shipping calculation ...

The problem exists for Canada ...

Because Always Free Shipping is for Everyone ... the amount gets adjusted so if only the $20 Product marked Always Free Shipping is in the cart, then it is Always Free Shipping ...

This could be fixed for Canada by commenting out the test for Free Shipping:
    Code:
    //		if (zen_get_shipping_enabled($this->code)) {
    			$this->enabled = ((MODULE_SHIPPING_ZONETABLE_STATUS == 'True') ? true : false);
    //		}
    But now, there is a problem for the US shipping ...

Installing the FREE SHIPPING! freeshipper will help this ... and add the US Zone Definition to it so it only shows for the US ...

Now what will happen is on the Order for $20.00 Product that is Always Free Shipping, Canada sees their normal $5.00 charge from the Zone Table Rate zonetable ... but the US is going to see the FREE SHIPPING! freeshipper and the Zone Table Rate zonetable for their charge ...

Now, you can use this to your advantage and make the shipping a faster method or "sound" like a faster method than the Zone Table Rate zonetable based on the text you use for it in the language file ...

To make this work where the US never sees both the FREE SHIPPING! freeshipper and the Zone Table Rate zonetable at the same time, would require some customization to the code as the method used to not show the Zone Table Rate zonetable when the FREE SHIPPING! freeshipper shows was commented out to allow it to work for Canada ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Free shipping on order total, problems when some items already have free shipping

Hi Ajeh,

Thanks for the quick reply. I figured I was fighting a default setting, and I'd have to do a few lines of custom programing. I'll give this a shot.