Plugin Contributions

Default Spanish / Norwegian Character Encoding

Hi, I have looked through the forums but cannot find anything specific to my query. I am using zencart v1.3.9d and have language packs installed for Norwegian, Spanish and Portuguese.

These all seem to work fine but I am having a big problem with the character encoding.

Most of the system is "charset=iso-8859-1" however the spanish is "charset=utf-8".

In the spanish.php file the charset is set to utf-8 but to get characters to appear correctly i have had to change "á" to be "á" etc. this works for the majority of the general text such as menu items and store messages etc.,

When adding products to the catalogue I put in the english description, norwegian description etc. and these appear fine, but to get the spanish to appear correctly I have to put in "á" etc. in here aswell. The spanish then appears fine. This is when adding products into the catalog with admin set to english language. If i change the admin to spanish language I can type in "á" in spanish product description and it works fine but when I save the product to the cart the norwegian/portuguese characters such as "Ø" do not appear correctly and revert to words appearing like "V�re" instead of "Våre". So then I change admin to norwegian and adjust the characters, the norwegian then becomes correct but the spanish goes wrong again.

The only way I seem to be able to do it is keep the admin in the english language and add all products as normal, but for the spanish title/description etc. I must type in the full HTML encoding for the spanish characters.

There must be some configuration to the language setup that I can do to make this work, but I just cant seem to figure it out.

Any help and guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Baz

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Spanish / Norwegian Character Encoding

Everything has to be in one encoding or another.

Spanish is utf-8 because I did my spanish shop in utf-8 after having problems with the 8859 encoding and accents. Then, since the original spanish translations were so poor/incomplete/out-of-date, once we had it ready I contributed those files as a lot of people have gone to utf-8, and zc2.0 will be utf-8.

I admit its confusing for new users who expect drag and drop like the other languages.

Either you have to convert all your language files and database to utf-8 as per this thread:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93439

(there are bulk text-file conversion tools out there).

or convert the spanish pages to 8859 and change the html page encoding define at the top of spanish.php from utf-8 back to 8859.
    regards
    Steve

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Spanish / Norwegian Character Encoding

Hi

I have two language website, english and spanish, when i turn the website to spanish the products description shows well but the templates content does not, however when i force the encoding settings in the browser i can see the templates right but the products descriptions goes wrong

I have read all the threads about it but i can not just get it to work properly, i really need help

Thanks