Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Using WinMerge - Topic Revisited

Ok not so easy

winmerge 2.12.4.0

is that block supposed to be entered line by line? and where is the ignore option
    Webzings Design
    Semi retired from Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by nigelt74 View Post
    Ok so how do you get winmerge to ignore differences in the comments, when i go into winmerge -> compare -> options no matter what the comments option is set to i get the same result. or is this something i am supposed to add in to winmerge

edit------------------------
    yeesh I search for hours, post for help, then find it a minute later

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7330
    Isn't that always the way it goes?
    Go that extra mile, you never know what's at the end of the road

Empowerment Sanctuary

Plugin Contributions

Can anyone help me with this? Winmerge doesn’t want to show a match.

I am trying to find all the matching files in these two directories(and sub directories). On the left it’s a folder with many files; on the right it’s a folder that contains many sub folders that contain files. There are many file matches but they wont show as matches.. HELP! Can winmerge do this? If not can anyone tell me what software can? Thanks in advance.

Right - H:\media\music ( note there many sub directories in this folder that contain matching files in the left folder)

Left - Z:\music

Thanks again

Plugin Contributions

Select the two folder for comparing and click OK.

The you should get a list of compared files. In the menu bar you can now select what you want to see. (see attachment)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Plugin Contributions

Design 75, Thanks so much for the quick reply

I have show different and show identical checked and I still don’t getting what I looking for. I think the problem is that the files on the right side reside in sub folders while they don’t on the left side, so technically they are not “identical”. For example I have the file test.doc in: Right - H:\media\music\temp\test.doc and the same file in Left - Z:\music\test.doc.

They are the identical files but winmerge does not show them as such because on one side they are in sub folders while not on the other.

Any thoughts on how can find matches with my file structure using winmerge or another program?

Thanks again.

Marty

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Indeed WinMerge expects the same folder structure. It compares left-and-right exactly. If you've relocated files into other folders on the right side, but not on the left side, then it will fail the compare, because it's not the same.

I'm not aware of any automated tools that will do what you're asking, because that's no longer a direct compare-left-with-right concept.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12