Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Double PayPal entry in admin/edit customer order page

Hi, Can I ask you one more stupid question!
    To use Payflow for PayPal, do I presently need to be accepting credit cards, like through my bank?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

That's a completely different topic!

PayPal has a couple products for specifically handling ONLY credit cards:
    - Website Payments Pro -- in this case PayPal *is* your bank when processing cards. Payments become funds available in your PayPal account, which you can withdraw as you wish.
    - Payflow Pro -- in this case you tell PayPal which bank you've already got a merchant account with, and PayPal then handles the card processing with the PayPal gateway and putting money directly into your bank.

Both require an application/approval process and a credit check.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks again,
    That cleared up some of the questions I was hunting answers for.
    Too cool how you just moved this to a new post!

I've been trying to decide how I want to take payments on my site.
    I've been using PayPal for years, and have really wanted to take credit cards on my site, not just PayPal "to the customers point of view anyway" Because I've not only lost customers because I only take PayPal, but have had several people over the years complain that I only take PayPal.
    I love PayPal, but I'm not everyone!!

I just recently signed up for Athorize.net. paid the fees and everything, not realizing that I had to have a Internet merchant bank account already to use it. Stupid me. (basically in that I have to be taking credit card through my own bank already. Correct?)

Also now know from you that the PayFlow is similar to that.

So here is my question now relating to all of this.
    If I use PayPal Website Payment Pro, from my customers point of view, will it look like I am using PayPal, or will it look like I am taking credit cards directly?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by medragon View Post
    So here is my question now relating to all of this.
    If I use PayPal Website Payment Pro, from my customers point of view, will it look like I am using PayPal, or will it look like I am taking credit cards directly?
    Nope. Customers won't have any idea. It'll just be another payment choice alongside Express Checkout.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Okay, I've added the PayPal Express, and it is working just fine.
    I've applied for the PayPal Website Pro. and will see how that goes from there.

Have a question about something that comes up in the admin>costomers>orders>edit

I have no idea what this part does!

Is there a link that tells more about the PayPal Express and what the different things do?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Are you familiar with the concepts of credit card "authorization" and "capture"?

Authorization happens when a request is made to see whether the card has sufficient funds available, and a hold is placed on those funds.
    Capture happens when you, the merchant, say that you want the funds to be taken from that card and put into your account. Sometimes also referred to as "Final Sale", and sometimes considered the same thing as "settlement" (although settlement is technically a little different and is not applicable to PayPal Website Payments Pro)

If an authorization is made and you intend to *not* capture those reserved/held funds, you can void that authorization. That's what that option is for.

Plugin Contributions

Hi DrByte,

I am not really familar with the concepts of credit card "authorization" and "capture"?

Your explaination was very good.

Basically, I can't see me ever using that.
    Can you give me an example of why or where you would want to use that option.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

If you're not shipping within 24 hours you generally shouldn't be capturing funds right away. So, if you don't have inventory for the items you're selling, or if it'll take a few days to prepare it for shipping, you should authorize-only, and then capture when you're ready to ship. If you don't do that, then your customers are more likely to report the transaction as bad, which can result in chargebacks and black marks on you as a vendor ... and indeed the terms of most merchant account agreements require it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12