Plugin Contributions

Default Gift Certificate Nightmare

Please can someone shed some light on why our store is behaving in this manner.

Our store Moo Two Designs dot com is working on v 1.3.8.a and was upgraded between Jan-Apr 2009 from 1.3.7 (before my time)

Currently working addons are:
    • Discount coupons

• Gift Certificates

• Free Gift

• Custom Scriptz Sales Report v4.2

• Image Handler

• plus a couple of custom sideboxes from the zencart forum

No changes have been made to the site since June 2010, (template changes and site re-skinned) but we have experienced a few zencart mail outages which I am fairly certain relate to our hosting company (GoDaddy) doing unscheduled "maintainance work" These mail outages started occurring in September and since then we have been experiencing problems with our Gift Certificates although this may be purely co-incidental.

We started issuing Gift Certificates as customer rewards for site participation (the first issue took place beginning of September 2010). Customers have then been using the gift certificates and the orders process quite normally but...

in the accounting side of the site (Sales Report 4.2) the gift certificates are not deducting from the sales.

So Customer receives gift certificate for $6 and then purchases goods to the value of $6 leaving $0.00 balance.

In the reporting system this is reflected as

Goods Value = $6.00
    Discounts = $0.00
    Gift Certs Used = $6.00
    Payment Fee = $0.00
    Designer Total = $6.00
    Store Commission = $1.50
    Designer Payout = $4.50

My understanding of the Gift Certificate system is that it is similar to discount coupons, but in this situation, the store is footing the bill twice - once for the Gift Certificate issued and then for the payment to the designer which should be $0.00 as no actual purchase of the gift certificate has taken place.

This is a screenshot of one single order with goods from 7 designers, value $12.00, paid for with GC's to the value of $12.00 therefore leaving a total of $0.00

You should be able to see what I mean.

This particular order is stuck in the system at the moment because the zen freecharger has not released it - no idea why not.

Is this normal Gift Certificate behaviour through Zencart as this is creating a phenomenal accounting nightmare when it comes to payroll.
    Last edited by Scrapznbitz; 2 Dec 2010 at 05:52 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Gift Certificate Nightmare

Gift certificates are treated as cash, because they are designed to have already been purchased... So in your scenario a normal gift certificate purchase would count double sales. Coupons on the other hand are discounts and deducted from sales.

~Melanie
    PRO-Webs, Inc. :: Recent Zen Cart Projects :: Zen Cart SEO – 12 Steps to Success
    **I answer questions in the forum, private messages are NOT answered. You are welcome to contact us via our website for professional engagements.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Gift Certificate Nightmare

Thank you Melanie. I guess that in that case they are just not a viable option in a consignment store