Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Auto Parts Store db structure

2 CoolCarPartsOnline
    I appreciate your help :)

I understand that Zen Cart out of box not work for auto parts store, I'm gonna improved for my needs, np, I'm PHP-developer, just need some time to understand Zen Cart structure, cause there is any documentation on it except User Manual...

P.S. I found zen-cart add-on Year/Make/Model drop down menu...:)

Plugin Contributions

Anyone?

Plugin Contributions

I would agree with what CoolCarPartsOnline says about ZC and auto parts stores. Out of the box, ZC just won't cut it, it requires a lot of customization to make it work for auto parts stores. That said, most auto parts stores are highly customized anyway, most platforms REQUIRE lots of customizations to make them work for auto parts. Unless of course, you have the resources to sign up for one of the platforms that are designed to work for the industry.

IMHO, I think ZC is a good way to start. If you know php than you can customize it, it will just require lots of time (and testing).
    Thank you,
    autoace

Plugin Contributions

Unless of course, you have the resources to sign up for one of the platforms that are designed to work for the industry.
    I tested a few of the automotive platforms. There are not worth it. Now if you have the money and time to structure you own platform it would be your best way to go.

I am working on a custom platform for my new automotive website (Sorry won't be for sale). I think it would be the best php automotive platform out there.

If you choose to go with Paid platforms, stay away from Shopping Cart Elite.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by CoolCarPartsOnline View Post
    I tested a few of the automotive platforms. There are not worth it. Now if you have the money and time to structure you own platform it would be your best way to go.

I am working on a custom platform for my new automotive website (Sorry won't be for sale). I think it would be the best php automotive platform out there.

If you choose to go with Paid platforms, stay away from Shopping Cart Elite.
    @CoolCarPartsOnline

Yes, I definitely agree with you. Especially on Shopping Cart Elite - run away. And honestly I agree with you on not selling your custom cart either. I would do the same thing - too many cookie cutter sites as it is and it gives you certain advantages also.

I plan to do the same at the right time.
    Thank you,
    autoace

Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Re: Auto Parts Store db structure

Yes, I agree with you all that to develop something specifically to fit your needs better than to take something and adapt for your needs.

Unfortunately, right now, develop something new is not possible so I have to use what I can find on the market, I have tried many times different platforms (free/$$) before settling on Zen Cart ...

We can argue endlessly that it is better and worse, I certainly appreciate your comments and suggestions, but let's get back to the subject ...

Who has any thoughts on the problems described above?
    - Glitch in the Replacement Parts, part of the Makes is loaded instantly, while others hang on a minute ...
    - See post # 30

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Guys.....I have a good news....I reduced number of queries from 108 000 in replacement parts section to 155!!...today just had an idea to play with Index listing in Configuration section...And now everything seems to work

Continue to testing
    Last edited by va-parts.ca; 17 Jan 2011 at 10:31 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Nice, as you can see some testing and tweaking will go a long way! Took a quick look at your site and noticed that you do not have a Part Finder aka Year Make Model filter. If you hope to have any success at all, you will need one. Just like CoolCarPartsOnline said, if it takes your customers too many clicks to get to the product, they will click away.....

Take a look here and you'll see the only free available for zen cart. Its not the ideal set up for an auto parts site, but its a start. I personally do not use it, I had one custom coded.

Spend some time in the admin, it will help to see all that ZC can do. Hope that helps.
    Thank you,
    autoace

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234