Plugin Contributions

Default Help - Please... Upgrading DB

I'm so beyond frustrated right now with how we have to upgrade Zen Cart... I just wish there was a simpler way to do this...

Okay so I've been trying to follow the directions for upgrading my store, and I just wish they were more detailed on what to do...

I did the comparison between the original 3.8 and my version of 3.8 to see which changes I made. I made note of these, and then made the changes in 3.9 - they were only textual changes, no coding changes at all. I also looked to see which files I had in the templates section, and copied those into the templates in the 3.9 version (using the template override system, etc)...

so now - this should be, for the most part, an identical ############## (textual and design wise) of my 3.8 store.

So now it tells me to upload to "new_store" or what have you...

and to create a NEW database, which I did, and to update the admin/includes/configuration.php and includes/configuration.php to have the name of my database...

and to run the zc_install - okay all fine and dandy... now it tells me to follow along until I get an "Upgrade Database" button - there is none though... the closest I get to is something like "Update Cfg Files", which is right next to the "Install" button...

I'm pretty sure I don't want to do Install, so I click the Update Cfg Files - and then it tell me to input my database name and password - is this for my new database? or is this information for my old database?

If I put my new database it throws an error on the next page about not being able to find some cache

If I put the information for my old database, on the next page it tells me that the database prefixes aren't correct and that it can't find the zen_cart tables...

I don't know what to do - and I have to get this upgrade finished in the next 24 hours....

and none of the "instructions for upgrading" talked about this last part I'm talking about - is there a better guide somewhere on how to upgrade our stores??

now my next problem... after this upgrade is finished, we're going to be moving our website to a new domain... how complicated will this change be in order to get zen_cart to work (assuming all file structures stay the same except that the main domain name will now be different)....

Thanks for your help on this! I'm willing to even go over this stuff over the phone, or doing a screen share or something...

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Help - Please... Upgrading DB

and while I'm at this...

this is just a simple site - it has PayPal express and PayPal Webpayments Pro module installed - and that's it... I just want to have the new zencart for the security features, patches, all I want to do is take my products, customers, and design and apply it to the new zen cart -

would it be easier to just do a fresh install? copy my files that I made changes with and template overrides with, and then have it point to the old database? or is the DB structure completely different now??

Please help me with this upgrade.

Plugin Contributions

Essentially that is what you need to do -

First never mess with your old site!! leave it there until the new is ready and tested then switch it out.

I am thinking that the zencreators want you to create the new database as not to mess with the old one and to be in danger of messing the site up. And then to get used to the new features.

do a fresh install of 1.3.9h and name it something off the wall.
    You will able to access you 'new' by typing in the path into the address line. Dont forget your config files. The new zc_install is so mega cool it just walks you thru it.

Do all the adjustments to your 'new updated site' to make it look like what you need. Upload any mods you need and upload your override folders and files.

Now how do things look? are things working well? Back up everything!!! download your sql for you database and save. Actually you should have already done this. Before doing anything to anything.

Attach your database and test - are things still working OK?

dont forget you config files. Now are you ready to go live - but your old site is still running ok because at this time you have not messed with it and if your upgrade takes a little longer your site is still able to take orders.

Take your website down for maintence and then move your folders thru the cpanel. Adjust your config files. Actually the last thing I did was to reinstall the database Thru the zc_install- If you forget to do this what it will tell you is that your database is at a lower level. But It should still work ok. So that is a reminder to go do this. I think there is a thread on this subject.

I too am a newbie so use this only as a guide - Hope this helps.

Plugin Contributions

PS I too was in your same position a few months back - I started a thread requesting help and Kobra and Dr Byte are just wonderful - check it out - it got me thru my upgrade. They have some enlightening info in it. It is worth a read.

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166476

Plugin Contributions

I dunno - I'm just kinda stuck right now - I went through your posts and what not.

So here's what I've done... *sigh*...

I've compared the 1.3.8 original files, and the 1.3.8 that I ended up with after my customization using winmerge - there were a few textual changes to some of the files, so I went through and carried those textual changes over to my new shopping cart (1.3.9)... Then I also had a bunch of files in my customized 1.3.8 in the templates section, so I went ahead and just copied those into the 1.3.9 - assuming that these would now change the design of my site...

I uploaded 1.3.9 with my design/textual changes to my server.

I created a brand new database, which is empty.

I did a fresh install of 1.3.9, and had it point to the new empty database.

I can now enter my "new" store.

My new store, though, does NOT have the design of my old store. It is using the "out of the box" templates. (It has been some time since I installed my 1.3.8 store, so maybe I'm doing the override template thing wrong)...

so now here's where I'm stuck...

A) How do I get the customizations from my old store into my new store

and

B) How do I populate the new database, with the information from the old database??

Thank you for your help!

Plugin Contributions

Okay - I see - my mistake

I had to get into the admin area and point Zen Cart to use the Custom Template...

Okay - so now it somewhat looks like my old store - probably have to make a minor tweak here or there, but all in all it's pretty close... think I missed a file for the main page content - not sure, but that's fine.

Okay - so my next question is - how do I import the data from my old database into my new store?? How do I do this "Database Upgrade" ordeal??

Plugin Contributions

Okay - so I finally said screw it - and decided to point my NEW store, at my OLD database... in the configuration.php area - etc... yadda yadda yadda... reran zc_install... and BAM successful upgrade (I hope) - opened up my store, all of my products were in there, and I hope my customer base is too...

is there any way to check/validate that the customer base is in fact being recognized and pulled into my new store?

Plugin Contributions

rjmg2008
    nO YOU ARE ok

That is exactly what I did, is attach the old database to the new upgrade. You did good.

As for the customer base - I just assumed mine was good - go into your listing and take a peek if it looks ok then it should be you may wish to check on the format and the number of customers but other than that - you are good to go - take care.