Plugin Contributions

Default Help with attributes and options

I've read through the pertinent threads in this section of the Forum, and also played with the attributes/options setup, and I don't see how to do what I need to do.

Many of my products are available in multiple sizes, prices and shipping weights. One of the reasons I'm switching to Zen Cart is that my current software will not handle this as variations of a single product. I have to enter a new item for every variation. I'm not sure how to do variable product options here either. The color options are pretty intuitive, but for things where the price and/or the shipping weights need to be variable as well, I can't figure out how to do it.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Help with attributes and options

Have you looked at the wiki file? https://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index....tes_Controller
    It can be a little tricky but not impossible. Here's a look at its use in one of our sites. http://tinyurl.com/hjscuts

Plugin Contributions

Hadn't looked in the wiki yet, thanks, will do that immediately. Your site is impressive. I won't need that level of choices, but I do need to make sure that price and shipping weight follow size choices for some things. Others are the same shipping weight, but have different prices. Others need to have both size and color choices, etc. So it's not a one size fits all by any means.

Going off to read now.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks, I think I've got it figured out. Picky, picky, especially on items with a lot of options, but it seems to be working. Thanks for your help.

Plugin Contributions

You are welcome.
    One thing to point out. When you have a dropdown, I generally add an option value of Please Select to each option name.
    Then, when you set up say a size, you would have Please Select a Size as your first item. It would have the Yellow and Orange selections turned on in the Attributes Controller. (Display Only) and (Marked Selected). This forces a customer to make a decision, even if it is no thanks (in case they didn't want the added alligator logo). You'll never have an order you wonder about because they will have to make a selection.
    Second thing is to use sort orders in steps of 10. 0 for Please Select, then 10 20 30 40 and so on. If you use 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 someone will come along later and want a new one between 3 and 4. Saves on renumbering later.

Plugin Contributions

Yes, thanks, I did add a display only 'Please Make a Selection' option. Hadn't thought of numbering the ordering in intervals of 10. Lol, used to do that back when source code had line numbers, so I should have thought of it. I've already renumbered several product groups.

Plugin Contributions

yep, I go back to Sinclair Basic

Plugin Contributions

Cool. I started with Autocoder (an early assembly language) on an IBM model something with drum memory. Never actually used a Sinclair, but I remember seeing them.