Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default First page load is 6 seconds, subsequent is 0.01 seconds. VPS, loads of RAM.

Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit VPS, 512Mb dedicated RAM. Mysql tuned so that sqltuner is completely happy. Even when I run one of those "hammer the server" load apps, used RAM never above 350Mb out of the 493 available. Load never exceeds 1.04 or so.

httpd.conf tuned as per all the guides for vps of that memory - amount of preforks, spares etc.

But for the FIRST load of Zen Cart, 1.39h, even a stock install, after having not visited for a while, it's taking ages.

First load examples:
    Parse Time: 3.576 - Number of Queries: 50 - Query Time: 0.019723195953369
    Parse Time: 6.645 - Number of Queries: 50 - Query Time: 0.02912563696289

Reload examples:
    Parse Time: 0.096 - Number of Queries: 39 - Query Time: 0.0066126374511719
    Parse Time: 0.163 - Number of Queries: 39 - Query Time: 0.0075072061309816

Subsequent reloads will be at this speed.

So, the mysql query speed is VERY fast, the subsequent page loads are fast. DNS lookup is off, IP to host conversion is off, I've been through all the guides and turned everything off, tweaked all the switches, tried different caching methods.

Bear in mind the server is tuned percetly, and Zen Cart is the ONLY application doing this. I installed a couple of PHP apps like phpbb and phpmyadmin, they run fine and don't exhibit this behaviour. But 3-6 seconds for initial page load is 2-5 seconds too long for most potential visitors.

I'm using suPHP but I've tried fast-cgi and cgi.

Stuck now, a weekend of tweaking has brought me nothing. Advice appreciated. Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: First page load is 6 seconds, subsequent is 0.01 seconds. VPS, loads of RAM.

Might try somewhere that caters to this subject

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: First page load is 6 seconds, subsequent is 0.01 seconds. VPS, loads of RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by kobra View Post
    Might try somewhere that caters to this subject

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/
    I've been round all the forums. My VPS host has kindly checked my server tuning for me. This is a Zen Cart issue. Isn't the Zen Cart forums the place to ask for Zen Cart issues?

Remember, this DOES NOT AFFECT other php/mysql applications, just Zen Cart.

Plugin Contributions

Parse Time: 6.645 - Number of Queries: 50 - Query Time: 0.02912563696289
    That is an apache issue as mysql completes fast

Not a ZenCart issue as you should be able to See HERE
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

I have a similar problem, first page loads between 3 and 6 seconds, after that its 0.1 to 0.7 seconds. After months and months of communications with my host (they even moved me to a different server) the exact same problem still occurs. My host had no explanation and suggested reviewing other scripts. After months of testing with other systems (carts and CMS). Zen Cart was the only script with this issue. In the end we just gave up trying as no one could work out why it was happening, so we just accepted it.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Hi,

If possible, a link to the site in question would help.

As has been mentioned before, mysql doesn't seem to be a problem, so you need to look at the loading of page resources that are subsequently cached,

eg. javascript, html and images.

Using something like firebug / ySlow can show how long it's taking to load certain resources and pinpoint bottlenecks.

Are you using a php accelerator. If you are then initial slow page times may also be down to a mis-configuration of how apache/php are interacting.

Plugin Contributions

Well, your front page does have 1.2mb of images on it for a start...

Plugin Contributions

I know this refers back to the original poster, but this line in his post is illuminating:
    Load never exceeds 1.04 or so.
    Server load is based on the number of CPUs on the server, so if a server has just one CPU and a load in excess of 1.0 then that means that the server is being stretched. x1 CPU = a server load of 1. The server would most likely either automatically shut down and restart at 2.0, or else it would crash before then.

Vger

Plugin Contributions

ray-the-otter - do you have gZip Compression enabled. I ask because compression takes time and can slow a site down initially.

Vger

Plugin Contributions

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I don't get email notices when there have been replies to my posts and i forget to check! Tried both gzip off and on. Also tried cpanel settings with compression off and on too.

It's not a biggy, it would be nice to have the /index.php page load faster than 5 seconds. After that first page load, everything is fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast