Plugin Contributions

Default can't find php errors

Hi Guys,

I've recently upgraded from 1.3.8a to 1.3.9h. Generally it's gone pretty smooth considering all the mods I've done and installed.

However, I'm using the virtual merchant credit card payment module, and when I test it to make it throw an error, I get a blank page. I used to be able to find the errors in the error_log in the top directory, or in the /cache directory as myDEBUGxxx files. But I'm not finding the errors anywhere.

I've looked over the enable_error_logging.php in /includes/extra_configures, and see no reason that shouldn't be working. The cache directory permissions are 777.

A couple of questions: a blank page is always an error, right? There should be an error somewhere? Is there some way to turn off the enable_error_logging.php function? Aren't php errors dropped to an error_log by php? If so, where are they to be found.

Thanks.

PS: I am able to retrieve the logs that virtual_merchant.php is generating. But that doesn't cover whatever php error is causing it to throw a blank page.
    Last edited by kehrli; 7 Feb 2011 at 12:50 AM.

Default Re: can't find php errors

Check the cache folder in your store root directory. PHP errors generally create a log file and store it in the cache folder.
    Go that extra mile, you never know what's at the end of the road

Empowerment Sanctuary

Plugin Contributions

Yes, I know. But there are no messages there. No files have been created in that directory since the upgrade to Zen 1.3.9h were done. Something is stopping any errors from going there, and that's what I'm trying to solve. Once again, the permissions on the /cache/ directory are 777, so it is writable.

Plugin Contributions

https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=82

I realise you have probably read this, i have never had the issue of errors not showing in the /cache, so take what i say with a grain of sand or salt

did you try method b on that page "Attempt to show errors on-screen." while its not perfect it, if it does show errors then you know that a) you have an error and b)something is wrong with the cache utility
    Webzings Design
    Semi retired from Web Design

Plugin Contributions

Hi Nigel,

I wasn't aware of that tutorial, thanks.

However, I turned on strict error logging, and confirmed by the message on each page that it's turned on, but when I try to process the credit card, I still get a blank page. When I try the back button, I get the page without any errors. So the method of displaying the errors on screen isn't showing up the cause of the blank page. I can find the credit card error in the VM logs, but it shouldn't be throwing a blank page, and the error causing the blank page is not showing up anywhere that I know of.

This error is obviously a problem with the virtual_merchant.php file. It was written for an earlier version of ZenCart. But I need to use it, and the only way I can debug it is if I can find the danged error logs. I don't understand why they aren't showing up. I used to get them all the time before the upgrade.