Plugin Contributions

Default Catch Up During Upgrade

Hi,

I hope this hasn't been answered already, as I've searched up and down for a concrete solution...

I have a client who I have been upgrading from 1.3.7 to current on my local machine. It took me about a day and half. In the meantime, they had 3 new orders.

Is there a way for me to update my new current database to add those customers and orders?

Thanks so much in advance,

Adam.
    - pensive612

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Catch Up During Upgrade

This is explained in detail on the Tutorials/FAQ's (Step 3. Testing) AND in the docs folder (/docs/2.Readme-Upgrade.html)of your Zen-Cart download.
    Teach them to shop and they will shop today;
    Teach them to Zen and they will OWN a shop tomorrow!

Plugin Contributions

Hi Get Em Fast,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

However, I've looked at the links you sent me, and maybe I'm not stating my question clearly...

I am looking for a method (possibly SQL statement) that would update the new customers, invoice, order, product inventory that I have in the remote database from the last 24 hours, but is not in my local upgraded database.

Or if I should use an addon, and recreate the customer and orders by hand.

Thanks again.
    - pensive612

Plugin Contributions

You will have to get another backup of the old sites' database, overwrite your new database, then update it.

I mean........yea............technically, you CAN use sql to update those orders, but you would spend about 10 times the amount of time extracting and inserting that data from one sql to anohter as you would by just doing it that way, as you would have to 'pick and choose' data from SEVERAL tables to insert all the information that written by just 3 orders..........and the fact that there's more to consider than just 3 orders...........

You've got either 3, 2, or 1 old customers........or new customers......either way, this affects several tables alone......

address_book
    counter
    counter_history
    customers
    customers_info

.....and those are just from the customer visiting the site and creating an account.

And if updating those tables don't look so bad to you.............you should see the list of tables that gets affected when the customer makes an order...........Oh, boy!

And after you spent an hour or better (closer to 2) extracting the 'bits and pieces' of data you need for each table, and insert it into the new site..................what's going to happen when you're all finished with that, just to find out that 2 other people have created accounts and made purchases?.............there you go again....................

Anyway.................you're really better off just sticking to the old 'traditional' way of updating the database...........IMO. It's a LOT less work, AND it's safer, as doing it piece by piece, you're surely going to miss some little piece of information.

Good luck with your project, though.
    Teach them to shop and they will shop today;
    Teach them to Zen and they will OWN a shop tomorrow!

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for your help. You were pretty much saying what I had a feeling was true. I installed the Create Orders with Master Password mod. And I think that should do the trick.

Thanks again for your advice.
    - pensive612