Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Advice Appreciated: Centos Or Fedora Server ?

Hi guys,

We currently run our site on a windows vps server (which we know now wasn't the best choice to sit Zen Cart on)

We have another site - non zen cart - which we intend to run on the same vps server. The developers have advised us that this site will not play well with windows servers and they have suggested either Centos or Fedora for a new vps server.

When this is up and running we will migrate our current site(s) from the windows vps to the new server. My question is out of the two server systems advises - Centos and Fedora is there any preferred one for Zen Cart to operate on. Is there any known issues I need to be aware of ?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Advice Appreciated: Centos Or Fedora Server ?

Either will take a bit of tuning the settings

If your site is not that large this is an expensive way to go and then be responsible for server admin on top of all the other things
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Hi Kobra,

Thanks for the response. Our main zencart site isn't hugely busy. Gets approx 2000 - 3000 unique visits a day with a second site getting 800 approx. We moved onto a vps server after our shared hosting started to be painfully slow.

We're taking over another site now which we ideally want to group onto the same server to share the costs. It's just that the site we are taking over is an existing custom build that will not sit on a windows server too easily. I'm also concerned with pci compliance on shared hosting.

Do you think our volumes should still be on shared hosting ???

When you say either will require a bit of tuning - does this mean that zencart is not compatible with these servers out of the box ?

Plugin Contributions

It is compatible but to experience the speed you will want takes some tuning of the LAMP stack(linux kernel, apache,mysql, php)

VPS is a partitiuoned "shared" server - - or virtual machine
    But you still share the CPU(s) and memory
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by PatF View Post
    My question is out of the two server systems advises - Centos and Fedora is there any preferred one for Zen Cart to operate on. Is there any known issues I need to be aware of ?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    For web applications both systems can be considered as identical as they both use the same LAMP software.

Fedora caters to the hobbyist market which wants up to date software.

CentOS/RHEL is designed for the professional market that wants stability and long term software support.

Cheers
    rod

Plugin Contributions

Going back to the original question my vote would be for CentOS. As RodG has pointed out CentOs is Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) released as Open Source. The interesting thing is that whilst you have to pay a licence for RHEL which includes support it's actually CentOS which is quicker off the mark issuing security updates and bug fixes. Sometimes this can be a difference of months and not weeks.

I'm sure that the Red Hat corporation would love it if CentOs did not exist, but unfortunately for them the framework was developed when they were part of an Open Source consortium which released under GPL. That project, by the way, was the "Fedora" project.

Vger

Plugin Contributions

I believe that I am correct in that all LINUX systems are based upon the kernel released and updated by the org that Linus Torvalds started
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

I believe that the "Fedora" project predates Linux. They may well have started with Apache and Unix. But I could also be wrong.

Vger

Plugin Contributions

Vger,

I only know it as Fedora linux by Red Hat

July 21st 2003 - Red Hat Linux Beta 1 (Severn) / Fedora Core 1 Test 1

You got some other history??

There are several Unix projects back to the 70's at least with the later BSD taking prominence
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kobra View Post
    I believe that I am correct in that all LINUX systems are based upon the kernel released and updated by the org that Linus Torvalds started
    Linus was also influenced by MINIX created by Andrew S. Tanenbaum around 1987

I can remember studying Minix around 1992

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast