Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: categories/products

You are upgrading your 1.3.8a cart so all references are to that version.

As for the differences, you are comparing your installed 1.3.8a with the new 1.3.9h. You want to be sure all the customizations that are on your current version (1.3.8a) get copied over to the new version.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: 1.3.8a to 1.3.9h / server to server

no takers huh? i could use some help with this

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgarde to 1.3.9 on test site - Live site still up with 1.3.8 DB but with new DAT

i got a question (or a couple of questions) about site
    50.22.89.220/~slater/airtightvideo.com/shopping_cart

a) now, set your live store to down-for-maintenance
    b) RE-DO the entire upgrade on your live site (which will be very easy, since you've already done it all once, sorted out any conflicts,and have made good notes about any settings changes so you can do them all in a couple minutes again on the new site):
    QUESTION- there were no conflicts with the new site, it just went up and i uploaded the new template i uploaded to the live site and had no issues at all. and any changes i made i already did to the live site (uploading a new template, and images)

- i) upload the new files to the old site
    QUESTION - do i drag them from the new site? or do some kind of install over the old site?? and by new files, do you mean all of them?

- ii) delete obsolete files from the old site
    QUESTION - how do i know what files are obsolete? the new files i upload will just overwrite the old files, how would i know what is obsolete??

- iii) upload the zc_install folder for the new version to the old site
    QUESTION - part of the install process for the new version was to delete the zc_install so no one could re-install over me

- iv) run zc_install to update the live site database
    - v) delete the zc_install folder
    - vi) do any admin configuration/settings updates as needed
    c) take the live site back online again by turning off maintenance mode
    d) delete your TEST site, since it's no longer needed (unless you want to keep it for additional testing activity)

thanks for the help

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default upgrading

Quote Originally Posted by slater555 View Post
    b) RE-DO the entire upgrade on your live site (which will be very easy, since you've already done it all once, sorted out any conflicts,and have made good notes about any settings changes so you can do them all in a couple minutes again on the new site):

QUESTION- there were no conflicts with the new site, it just went up and i uploaded the new template i uploaded to the live site and had no issues at all. and any changes i made i already did to the live site (uploading a new template, and images)
    Sounds like you've not actually merged the changes between versions, and are likely using old code in your customized template files, so might be missing some changes.
    Granted, this step which you've quoted me on is actually supposed to occur AFTER you've fully prepared your ENTIRE upgrade, including merging all changed files, on your test site, and fully tested that test site for complete functionality.
    QUESTION - do i drag them from the new site? or do some kind of install over the old site?? and by new files, do you mean all of them?
    "upload" implies using your FTP program to upload the files. Whether you choose to drag-and-drop, or click-and-copy, or whatever means your FTP program gives you in its user controls, is up to you.
    - ii) delete obsolete files from the old site
    QUESTION - how do i know what files are obsolete? the new files i upload will just overwrite the old files, how would i know what is obsolete??
    When you were comparing the files, according to the published upgrade instructions, it told you to identify any "extra" files which existed in your old version but which don't exist in the new version, as well as review the change-files lists in the /docs/ folder to identify what files are new/changed/deleted. Such "deleted" files would also be considered "obsolete", and should be deleted from your live site as part of the process of uploading the new files to it.
    QUESTION - part of the install process for the new version was to delete the zc_install so no one could re-install over me
    Yes, but considering the fact that you're going to need to upgrade your database data content to the new version, you'll need the new version's zc_install folder there to run the upgrade process.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: upgrading

It's always much simpler to do the ENTIRE upgrade on ONE server, instead of trying to do it during a move between servers.
    Doing it that way the instructions are easier to follow, but also: if something suddenly doesn't work on the new server, how will you know whether it's a server-related issue, or just something you missed/skipped/broke during your upgrade?

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

YOU SAID:
    Sounds like you've not actually merged the changes between versions, and are likely using old code in your customized template files, so might be missing some changes.
    Granted, this step which you've quoted me on is actually supposed to occur AFTER you've fully prepared your ENTIRE upgrade, including merging all changed files, on your test site, and fully tested that test site for complete functionality.
    QUESTION:
    "not actually merged the changes between versions" the new install of the 1.3.9h did not ask me to merge anything???
    and I am using a newly uploaded template 'bask_black'
    and if this step is supposed to occur AFTER i have merged all changed files??? i dont know what that means, like i said the new install did not ask me to merge files.

YOU SAID:
    "upload" implies using your FTP program to upload the files. Whether you choose to drag-and-drop, or click-and-copy, or whatever means your FTP program gives you in its user controls, is up to you.
    QUESTION:
    you did not tell me what files to drag (upload) do i drag (upload) all of the files from the new install (i.e. just move new/shopping_cart over top old/shopping_cart and just let it overwrite the whole thing???

QUESTION - I have read that the zc_install folder will upgrade the db file only
    QUESTION
    the db from my live site is on one server and it is a windows server... my new install is on a linux server because once i uploaded it to the same site as my live cart on the windows server, it would not let me install it on windows server but i had no problem at all installing it on the linux server, so can i upgrade my db file on the windows server and import it into the db file on the linux server??

thanks so much for your patience and help

Plugin Contributions

sorry to waste your time, but there are 354 changes or deleted files between the 2 versions, it would take me a lot less time just to re-enter my couple of hundred items into the new version. so my only issues would be

1) it would be much easier if i could update my db and move it from 1.3.8a on windows to 1.3.9h on linux... can that be done

2) to get the ability for offline processing back as i am pci compliant and use authorize.net gateway to process my cards but can not go from the cart to authorize, i must enter into authorize.net at my gateway

someone said there was a ceon i could use for offling processing but could i just move those files from the 1.3.8a to the 1.3.9h and do that, or not? without upgrading the site, cause i am just going to re-enter all the items although it would be nice if i could move all the attributes over or are they stored in the db also?

can you help with those two issues???

thanks again for your help.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You're really going about this all wrong.

The proper upgrade procedure is here: https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=98 and here: https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=108

There's NO NEED to manually re-enter any products. Follow the upgrade process properly and all your existing data will be preserved.

Plugin Contributions

I may do that, the new server i was going to wants to charge an extra $150 a year for a ssl security certificate, the old server already has it for no extra, i have asked the current server to move my site to a linux server and they cut my monthly fee in half in an attempt to keep me from moving. they dont have phpMyAdmin and i can download it unless i download Apache2 server. I have asked them to dump my db and put it on my ftp program so i can have access to it for the upgrade.

I have issues with the instructions in article 108, the article 98 looks easier to understand so i may give that a shot. worse comes to worse i will keep the 1.3.8a as i have uploaded all the security patches and am very happy with the look and feel of the site. I would need to make sure i could still work the off line processing though, that is a must.
    I am waiting for my server to update me on their efforts to dump my db so i can upgrade it. i will post updates here as i go.

thanks for your time and effort on my behalf. if i said anything that seems wrong let me know so i dont spin my wheels

Plugin Contributions

I updated my db and inserted it into my 1.3.9h version and all worked. but now the site seems to be in maintenance mode and i don't know how to get it out of that, any help would help

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast