Plugin Contributions

Default I want Product qty decremented when added to Shopping cart, not after checkout

I am helping someone with their web store. They are using Zen Cart. The seller wants to change the way the shopping cart "behaves". Since he sells mainly unique one-of -a-kind items he wants to decrement the item's qty as soon as the item is added to the cart. This prevents someone else from adding the same item to their cart, before the first customer has checked-out.

Also, he would like the shopping cart to only be a session cart. If the session times out or the customer logs out, then any items added to the cart will be "returned to stock".

I have been looking at modifying some of the .php files (esp . shopping_cart.php and main_cart_actiopns.php). So I was wondering, has anyone inmplemented either of these features ?

thanks, Ed

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: I want Product qty decremented when added to Shopping cart, not after checkout

Asked every now and then, but it would require so much custom coding, no one, as far as I know, has done it.

The problem is that such a mod would only be useful for the situation you described - one-of-a-kind products. For the rest of us, the default behavior makes more sense.

Default Re: I want Product qty decremented when added to Shopping cart, not after checkout

I think most sites inventory at purchase.

*opinion*
    I would too. If a product sits in a cart and is not available. another customer would not be able to buy it. Then if the cart is abandoned. the item returns to inventory. This situation may then repeat.
    This could be a source of confusion for customers too: I see a one of a kind item for sale, I go to buy it and its gone, next day i look and its back?
    One of the keys to selling is creating a sense of urgency. Communicate the availability policy to your customers so they understand how it works.
    History does not repeat itself but it [FONT="Century Gothic"][/FONT]does rhyme - Mark Twain

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by igofresh View Post
    I think most sites inventory at purchase.

*opinion*
    One of the keys to selling is creating a sense of urgency. Communicate the availability policy to your customers so they understand how it works.
    I agree with igo. A better option would be to show a message on a product if it already exists in someone's cart, egging them to buy it quickly if they really want it.

As 'guest' users store cart contents in a cookie, you'd have to modify some code and add another db table to make this work.

Plugin Contributions

The store owners logic is flawed.

You are assuming that the first to put it in their cart actually wants to buy it.
    Whereas lots of customers put lots of items in their cart and have no intention of buying it and may browse the site for hours, preventing REAL customers from purchasing it.

If it was me I would sell to the first to checkout.
    If necessary make it LOUD and CLEAR on the products page that the first to checkout gets the item.
    Sell the item asap.
    Don't stuff around preventing other customers from buying it.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gilby View Post
    The store owners logic is flawed.

You are assuming that the first to put it in their cart actually wants to buy it.
    Whereas lots of customers put lots of items in their cart and have no intention of buying it and may browse the site for hours, preventing REAL customers from purchasing it.

If it was me I would sell to the first to checkout.
    If necessary make it LOUD and CLEAR on the products page that the first to checkout gets the item.
    Sell the item asap.
    Don't stuff around preventing other customers from buying it.
    I have to agree, I have seen it a number of times, someone comes puts items in a cart and then leaves, which if they put the item in the cart and where not going to buy it would prevent someone who really wants it from buying it. I would go on first to buy is the one to get, and make sure people know that.