Thread: Importing Data

Plugin Contributions

Default Importing Data

I know that I made a big mistake but I want to try to fix it.
    I switched hosts for my site. Instead of using the functions to back up my site and all the items and customizations, I just simply downloaded my whole site from FTP.

Now I want to import all my settings/items from the files.

Is that possible?
    Any directions for that?

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Importing Data

You only downloaded half the files unfortunately. You'll also need a database backup of your store to properly move it.

Without a database backup I'm afraid all is pretty much lost.

Plugin Contributions

If you still have access to your old host's control panel, you can perform a dump of your db in myPHP admin. If you don't have that, I am afraid you are out of options. Unless... you were using easypopulate and you still have the .txt files from where you uploaded your products and categories, at least then you can get that much back.

Plugin Contributions

Isn't there at least some database files where I can import the text from my products?

Plugin Contributions

Isn't there at least some database files where I can import the text from my products?
    No, sorry. All of the data and settings are stored in the MYSQL database not in flat files.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Hi
    I just started to develop a fresh new zencart store in a subdomain, to substitute the existing one.
    The existing one is running v1.3.9h (with a few mods) the new one v1.5.1. (with a new template( is there a way I can import all the products (possibly with all their attributes) to the new site? Can I copy and paste the appropriate folders/files? I usually work on cpanel..
    Thanks a lot!
    Melena

Plugin Contributions

mmhh... 5 days later and still no answer. did i ask a dumb question , or just there is no solution on this?

Plugin Contributions

Get products from one database to another...
    I would export from one, and import to the other using Apsona, but Easypopulate would do it too. The fly in the ointment is/are the attributes, never exported/imported them so not sure of the tricks.

Can I copy and paste the appropriate folders/files
    Files and folders deal with the look and functionality of the site, ie how it handles the data...the data is your product, customer, order details in the database.
    Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ysmith877 View Post
    So, many have indicated the difficulty/improbabilityof restoring your site. A couple of things for thought. You haven't identified what data (beyond the files whcihonly provide the display of the site) that you have. Ie, did you ever download a backup of your mysql database? Do you have stored "photos" of the content from your old site. Do you have the ability to ask/beg the host company to provide a copy of the latest backup of the database? (The sooner you do this the more likely you are that they still have a copy in some backup file/folder.)

If you have data that can populate your new database, then yes there are utilities that can help get that data back into ZC, but you really will be starting from scratch on the site content.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by melena View Post
    mmhh... 5 days later and still no answer. did i ask a dumb question , or just there is no solution on this?
    No, not really any of those, might have been more helpful to you, to start a new thread. Something that directly applies to your situation.

There was recently a discussion on a topic similar to this. If you think about it and you've basically stated it, you are wanting to upgrade your database from 1.3.9 to 1.5.1. I understand that you are wanting to do this to a new database it seems, but that is basically what you are doing. The ZC friendly staff have developed upgrade capabilities in the install procedure. So, one way to accomplish what you are wanting is to upload your old database to replace (not to coexist with) your 1.5.1 database. Then, run the install package (again) from the 1.5.1 system and upgrade the database.

If you are actively in the process of updating (not upgrading) your 1.5.1 control files, you should finish that before doing the upgrade, or else you may not know what went wrong.

There are a number of ways to export the data, but realize your not wanting to just move products over, but all of the other information associated with the way your cart works.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...