Plugin Contributions

Default Making a large inventory easier to navigate?

I have been using zen-cart for about 4 years now, and can usually figure most things out for myself after a little reading, so I wouldn't bother if I thought the solution was easy. What I am looking for is a way to update products in a way that makes it easier for the customer to find what they need. I have no trouble getting products loading into the store using easypopulate and the price files supplied by my suppliers. The problem is the price files are vague, only containing part numbers, a short title and the price. I can access all the information I would like on my site by going to the suppliers websites and typing in the part number, which will then give me a full description as well as application for the part and pictures.

My question is, is there any way to import all that data into my zen-cart db without having to type all of it in by hand. I have tried typing descriptions in by hand as well as what the product fits, but it just takes so long, for over 100,000 products.

My website has to deal with agricultural and industrial parts and there are multiple applications for each part, I am just looking for a better way to make everything easier for the customer to find what they are looking for.

I have tried posting catalogs on my website that the customer can search, find their parts numbers and then type these in on the zen-cart to purchase, but maybe that is just too confusing. I need help, sales are lower than ever and I have to get going again before the economy kills me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Making a large inventory easier to navigate?

Can you export the info from your suppliers into an excel sheet?

Is yes, you could run a macro on the excel sheet to put the info into a format that you use for your store.

Plugin Contributions

To my knowledge, the only thing I can download from their site is a price file, that contains part number, a short title, and prices. I don't have access to their db so is there another way to get all this data, beyond clicking on every parts page and copy and pasting the info into excel. I have tried that and I only had about 500 done in 3 days. Is there a way to develop a bot or something to do this for you?

Plugin Contributions

I might have not made it clear in my earlier posts, but I have put the info from their price files into excel and loaded that into my site db, using easy populate. So the problem is not getting all the parts and prices on my site, I have them all there already. The problem is, I need a way to get more info added to each part without having to manually type or copy/paste it in for every one of them. I have tried this and it is far too time consuming for so many items. Unless there is a way to do this all at once.

Plugin Contributions

I had a similar type of thing at work - all this data - I made a macro - to copy/paste from A to B, C, D, etc then save it "as..."

It's the only way I can think of.