Plugin Contributions

Default Cant find the Admin when downloading

Downloaded zen cart got Zip file un zipped put into another folder then uploaded to File Zilla, my problem is i cant find the admin to set up Zen Cart, when i put my shops name into the address bar /admin it comes up with a 404, what am i missing !! ive watched tutorials step by step and the only thing i cant find is the admin to take me to the back end !!, ive missed something and going round and round, any help would really go down well at this time !! many thanks
    Arran

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Cant find the Admin when downloading

A 404 means "page not found", which suggests that wherever you uploaded the files isn't the right place according to how your webserver is configured.

Best to ask your hosting company which folder is the right place to put those files for the way they have configured their server.

Often the right place is an (existing, not created by you) folder named public_html or http or www or wwwroot etc.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks DrByte , ill phone them again as ive done this and they said dont put into a sub folder just download and upload to their sever so i did it all again and still the 404 !! so i phoned again did it again and another 404 !! i really do feel daft as this isnt the Hardest thing to do lol but its got me !! Right man on a mission now ill give them another call and tell them what you said and see if i can get to the bottom of what im doing wrong, wonder if its because im unzipping the file !! im going to try uploading it in the Zip then ill call them lol, thanks for the reply, many thanks.
    Arran

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

The zip is useless to you if still zipped while it's up on the server.

Who is your hosting company?

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

yep i knew that really but just wanted to cover all my corners to make sure lol, its Fast Host , ive just been on the phone to them and re uploaded V1.3.9h and it uploaded to their sever and they said they could see the File on their side but still cant find the admin to get to the next stage, im needing the part were it says Hello thank you for downloading Zen cart and then i can install it and then so i can then get into the admin to change anything i need to change and then upload all my shop files if that makes sense, everything else has gone well its just getting to the admin side or should i say so i can create an admin so i can work the back end of Zen, im doing something wrong here as it seems a 123 to set up but its only giving me the stages of downloading then uploading it to filezilla then im stuck as nothing then happens, apart from 404, im putting into the address bar psychicgiftshop.co.uk/zencart/admin/ thats when i get the 404 but fast host are saying its uploaded to the sever !!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Well ... a few thoughts.

1. FastHosts is a poor choice if you ever intend to use SSL on your site. You might try a forum search for them and see what other problems people have had with them too.

2. If you do indeed have a "zencart" folder on your site but all attempts to access it are returning a 404-not-found error, then the server is telling your browser that when it attempted to find the folder/files the server's filesystem said "no, there's no such folder/file, or you're not allowed to see it".

So, either you've uploaded it to the wrong place, or you've got all the permissions on the files/folders set too low for apache/php to be able to access them. Your host will have to tell you what's wrong with permissions and what the permissions should be set to.

All of this points to a problem on the server end. You'll need to work with the host to sort out whatever is causing this weird behavior.

Plugin Contributions

Think your right about the host, im going to change them tomorrow as they say the 404 is from Zencart !! i got a bit stumped by their reply's !!, they said what you said that there is no file when i asked why they said to contact the person who designed the site !! i gave up at that time lol, with fasthost you just upload to htdocs and that should be it but they still said they can see it their side but the file was empty !! even though i watched it upload on Filezilla !! and on to the sever !!, dont surpose you know any good hosts do you, im looking at siteground as they do a Free Zen Cart installation when you sign up, ill see what Zencarts is as ive not looked at Zens Hosting yet, but thanks again for the reply, looks like its going to be a few days till its done !! never mind onwards and upwards so they say !!, Thanks again
    Arran

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Link at top of this page: "Certified Hosts"

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the reply , yes i sussed it and been having a look, can see what you was saying about SSL now !! there's some good hosts so going to have another look and change over, thanks for the nudge in the right direction.
    Arran