Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Easy Populate Product Data is Being duplicated

Hi,

Just searched through the other thread, but can't find the answer any where and have just started to use this Easy Populate addon.

I got it installed on my local without a problem (testing it here before doing it live) but I'm having an issue.

I loaded the first set of products up = ok.

I wanted to try some subcategory products on the 2nd load but am now seeing that the original products are now duplicated.

I downloaded the file and see that everything has been duplicated.

Now, to my understanding, if I leave everything the same, it should only overwrite the same stuff and add in anything new.

It added the New, but duplicated the old.

I tried to delete the txt file on the server - expecting an error message - to follow - but ZenCart is still populating the same data.

Where is Zen now pulling it's data from?

Also, if items are removed from the excel sheet shouldn't they also disappear from the products list or do I have to do something differenet?

Was using Firefox in testing and it also happened in Safari, so I don't think it's a case of the page not refreshing.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Easy Populate Product Data is Being duplicated

Thanks for the move to the right location

I now have 2 products

CGi-001
    CGi-001

this is the type of thing that's happening.
    Last edited by janissaire; 28 Feb 2011 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Add on to help explain what's going on

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by janissaire View Post
    Thanks for the move to the right location

I now have 2 products

CGi-001
    CGi-001

this is the type of thing that's happening.
    Jani,

Can you either post the text file you are using, or send it in a PM for me to look at? One thing that EP will do is duplicate id's if they are not exact. If there is a space at the end of that model number, it will duplicate. If you specify a category path that is not EXACTLY the same, it will duplicate.

So it'd be very helpful to see what your file looks like. Also, please give your exact workflow: PC/Mac, Excel/OpenOffice ... describe in detail your actions when exporting.

If you are browsing to your upload file on your local system, then there is no way the old file will affect the import.

You are correct in that you shouldn't be getting duplicate if those model #'s have been removed from the import file.

-cj

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for you response Chad,

I will do a step by step process for you and post it - that way others can also figure it out (the way I'm doing it vs. they way they're doing it) and then when solved they might also be able to fix their issue without having to do a duplicate post.

Will try to get it done tonight or sometime tomorrow - I'm currently at work.

Plugin Contributions

hi - here's the file:

http://jecphotography.com/ZCStuff/Z_cart-Stuff.htm

click on the link

I'm probably doing something stupid

Plugin Contributions

Jan been there (I think) it has to do with categories
    CGi-001 cat 1 is treated as a different item than
    CGi-001 cat 1 cat 2
    You will have to manually update items to add sub cat

Nick

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by janissaire View Post
    hi - here's the file:

http://jecphotography.com/ZCStuff/Z_cart-Stuff.htm

click on the link

I'm probably doing something stupid
    I'm getting a forbidden error when I click the link...

Plugin Contributions

Nope - my bad - was working on some file permissions - checked it off to no access by mistake - you can see it now.

Plugin Contributions

LOL. Okay, WAY more than I expect... perhaps too much, but that's okay.

First off. If you are running 1.3.9e you need to upgrade to 1.3.9h. Period, no questions asked.

Second >>> VERY IMPORTANT <<< you cannot mix products and categories! This will cause no end of trouble for you, and it's not EP's fault. Zencart will not function
    correctly when you mix products and directories! All those yellow buttons you see under Categories/Products means you've created LINKED products.

When you type your categories in your spreadsheet, you have to be careful to not miss spell, change case, add a space on the end, etc. They must be exactly the same,
    or EP will create a new category and duplicate your product. Same goes for your product's model numbers. These must all be unique, no spaces at the end of them, etc.

I would first clear your database of all categories and products. Then create your main categories from within the zencart admin.

It would help if you gave me a solid example of what you are going to create. If you create 1 actual product in it's correct location then export it, you will have a template
    for your text file.

A word about excel: AFTER you've exported your txt file, you need to close the sheet without saving. If you save, excel will change the txt file you just exported. Very annoying! Especially
    when working with CVS files.

Also, if you haven't installed Dr. Bytes Mysql backup mod, do so. Before using EP, always backup your data files. This way if you make a mistake in your import data, you can always go back.

Here is a simple test. Create a ROOT category (say Toronto), then a SUB category (say Flowers), now, INSIDE the category Flowers, add several products Flower1, Flower2, Flower3.

Use EP and do a full export. BACK UP your data, DO NOT open the exported file, just run EP again, browse to your downloaded file, and re-upload it. NOTHING should change. NO duplicates should be created. EP will tell you it updated the records.

Although I now have my own customized version of EP, I used 1.2.5.4 for years. There are some minor annoying bugs, but it does work. If I ever had duplicated (LINKED) products, it was because I did something wrong in my data file.

Hope this helps get you off on the right foot!

-cj

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by chadderuski View Post
    LOL. Okay, WAY more than I expect... perhaps too much, but that's okay.

First off. If you are running 1.3.9e you need to upgrade to 1.3.9h. Period, no questions asked.
    Am running 1.3.9h

I would first clear your database of all categories and products. Then create your main categories from within the zencart admin.
    Will delete current catalogue - and then reset the categories

It would help if you gave me a solid example of what you are going to create. If you create 1 actual product in it's correct location then export it, you will have a template
    for your text file.
    These categories will be:
    • Fine Art Prints

• Greeting Cards

• Invitations (will have the same products as Networking Cards)

• Networking Cards (will have the same products as Invitations)

(The two bottom ones will be linked)

A word about excel: AFTER you've exported your txt file, you need to close the sheet without saving. If you save, excel will change the txt file you just exported. Very annoying! Especially
    when working with CVS files.
    Ok, if I understand it right - do it this way:

ZenCart Admin>Catalogue>Create Category>Create Subcategory (if needed)> Create a product giving each product it’s own individual number

Greeting Cards
    Flowers
    • 1 flower card (Product-01)
    Architecture
    Exteriors
    • 1 Exterior Card (Product-02)
    Interiors
    • 1 Interior Card (Product-03)
    Fine Art Prints
    • Product-04

• Product-05

Once this is done in the Zencart Admin > Export the file > I now have the setup I need for the excel sheet. (save a copy - so I have a base incase I make a mistake) The exported file will now be my template.

Ok, I export without saving? Do you mean just save it to the temp folder and not open in it in excel and then hit save?

Also, if you haven't installed Dr. Bytes Mysql backup mod, do so. Before using EP, always backup your data files. This way if you make a mistake in your import data, you can always go back.
    Here is the link if anyone esle needs it:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...products_id=81

Here is a simple test. Create a ROOT category (say Toronto), then a SUB category (say Flowers), now, INSIDE the category Flowers, add several products Flower1, Flower2, Flower3.

Use EP and do a full export. BACK UP your data, DO NOT open the exported file, just run EP again, browse to your downloaded file, and re-upload it. NOTHING should change. NO duplicates should be created. EP will tell you it updated the records.
    Will do it as soon as I get home - perhaps tomorrow - work all day then off to night school then have time for Zen tonight? (not sure - need to sleep sometime)

Hope this helps get you off on the right foot!
    You've been a big help - will let you know how it goes.

What happens if I want to take all the sub-categories and put them into a single category later? i.e.

Greeting Cards
    Flowers
    Architecture
    Exteriors
    Interiors

into

Greeting Cards

Is there an easy fix for that?

Also, what parts of the doc should I keep? So that if others want to see what's going on then they too can look at the examples I gave you. What items should I leave in the doc? I don't want to blow someone's brain out with 19 pages of screenshots - not to mention my bandwidth - LOL -
    Last edited by janissaire; 8 Mar 2011 at 05:47 PM. Reason: add on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast