Plugin Contributions

Default How to display products on another site?

Is there a mod that can be used to display products from a ZC store (new products, featured, specials) on another site?

If there's no such mod currently available, I'm thinking of just using an iframe and setting flags on the template file so that it doesn't show header, side columns, and footer. Would this be the best simplest approach or is there a better way?

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to display products on another site

Did you try the "sidebox anywhere" addon?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for that, I just downloaded it.

Unfortunately, after some testing, it appears it can only be used within the same domain name where the ZC shop is hosted, correct?

I wanted to use this on a couple of domain names that I've had parked for some time now, I want to make some use of them.

The domains are on the same server as the site with the ZC shop.
    The path in the require is
    require ("/home/zcstoredomain/public_html/single_sidebox.php");

But that is giving me an error:

Warning: require(/home/zcstoredomain/public_html/single_sidebox.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/outsidedomain/public_html/test_sideboxanywhere.php on line 29

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/zcstoredomain/public_html/single_sidebox.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/outsidedomain/public_html/test_sideboxanywhere.php on line 29

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

That addon requires to be running from the same home directory as the live store.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for the clarification.
    The products displayed with the sidebox anywhere mod don't have the same formatting as that on the ZC shop. For example, if I use it to display the specials, they are displayed with both regular and special price in black when I assume they should be displayed one crossed out in black and the other in red. Are there some additonal configuration/code I need to change or is this another limitation?

For anyone interested in displaying products from your store on another domain, what you can do is use the php cURL function to grab the content from the ZC store and display it on the outside domain.
    Initially I was going to use an iframe, but then I read somewhere that search engines seldom index those, so then I read about how cURL could be used.

In my case I want to display the content of the three center boxes specials, new products and featured products.
    I edited the tpl_main_page.php and set flags so that the 2 columns, header and footer are not displayed when source=outside is in the url.

Then with the curl function I just grab the content from http://www.example.com/index.php?source=outside

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You can style things as you need. Maybe you need to explicitly include certain styling to prevent conflicts with other styling settings on your other site?

Plugin Contributions

The styling issue was when using the Sidebox Anywhere mod within the same site where the Zen Cart shop is located.

There was no issue at all when grabbing the content using cURL and displaying it on another site.