Plugin Contributions

Default Some Basic Questions from a beginner

Hello Everyone,
    This is my first post I have a host gator account with WordPress and Zen Cart. I am running the latest version on Zen. I purchased the Zen eBook and made it to page 80 until I got a question.
    I am review how the email works, in the book on page 80 it says I can see some information in my files under the <zc-home>email directory, now for the question, Where are my files located at? How do I find them? I know it’s a simple question but I still can't find the answer.

Also I am new to web page designs but I am trying to learn, if anyone is bored and would like to give me a basic run down of the following terms and questions I would sure appreciate it.

I understand I need a FTP program to install my website while using Dreamweaver, which is the most commonly used program? However if I decide only to use my wordpress and zen cart from my server based hostgator account there is no need for a FTP program, correct??

What is a SQL data base and how much do I need to understand about it?

Maybe that’s all I should post right now, thanks for any help!
    Charlie

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Some Basic Questions from a beginner

It sounds like you used the Host Gator auto-installer to install Wordpress and Zencart.

Your files are on your HostGator server. You do need an FTP program to access them. Many here use Filezilla, and some (like me) use the FireFTP plugin for the Firefox browser. Both are easy to install and configure, but you have to understand a very little about file systems to use them.

Your auto-installer created the MySQL database for you, so you're good there for now.

Most here will tell you to set Dreamweaver aside when working with Zencart (or Wordpress, for that matter). The FTP program and a good text editor (even Notepad) are all you really need to make changes to your site.

Read through the Tutorials/FAQ section and search the forums for problems you encounter.

First order of business is to create your custom template - (see the Tutorial).

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Some Basic Questions from a beginner

Thanks for the reply. I do have Filezilla, I just was not all that sure about how to use it. I'll head over to the FAQ and learn more.
    Thanks again,
    Charlie