Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default checking out with gift certificate

My customers seem to have an ongoing problem with gift certificates and I think I've figured out why they are having confusion so often.

The usual complaint is that they've redeemed the gift certificate but it doesn't get applied to the order.

I tried duplicating the problem and here's what happens on my setup (1.39h) -

1. customer begins checkout and has a gift certificate code which they have not yet redeemed.
    2. on the payment page, they enter the gift certificate code and a payment method.
    3. Clicking continue brings the customer to the final checkout page with a message that indicates that they have redeemed the gift certificate successfully.
    4. Gift certificate has in fact been redeemed but not applied to the order.

It seems that when a customer redeems a gift certificate *during checkout* they must also specify an amount to apply. I guess that makes sense but the "redeemed" message makes the customer think that they've done everything they need to do. And since they've now passed the payment page, there's no additional opportunity to use the gift certificate during the current purchase. Finally, the customer is puzzled and upset when they get to the confirmation page and there's no gift certificate amount applied to their order.

I've added all sorts of text on the payment page to try to make it clearer for customers, but this comes up several times a week, so that leads me to believe it's still confusing to customers.

One possible solution would be to automatically default to using enough gift certificate funds to pay for the whole order (or as much as is in the gift certificate balance) with an option to reduce that. But I don't know how to do that.

My Zen Cart defaults to using zero of the existing amount of the gift certificate until another amount is specified. I would imagine most customer want to use their gift certificate now rather than later so defaulting to zero seems counter-intuitive.

Ed

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: checking out with gift certificate

This really depends ...

Many buy Gift Certifcates to send to other people ... if they start redeeming the Gift Certificate and it automatically applies the amount then they will use the Gift Certificate on their own order ...

You could customize Gict Certificate ot_gv so that the Gift Certificate has a redeem button next to it and the Apply Amount always shows ... and maybe that will help your customers ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    This really depends ...

Many buy Gift Certifcates to send to other people ... if they start redeeming the Gift Certificate and it automatically applies the amount then they will use the Gift Certificate on their own order ...

You could customize Gict Certificate ot_gv so that the Gift Certificate has a redeem button next to it and the Apply Amount always shows ... and maybe that will help your customers ...
    If someone purchases a gift certificate for someone else, it won't be in their account until *after* they complete the purchase, at which point they can email it to the recipient. Unless they come back to the site to make another purchase, they normally would not mistakenly use the gift certificate themselves.

I would like the "amount applied" to default to the smaller of either the order total or the gift certificate balance which is currently available.

If a person doesn't want to use their gift certificate balance, then they should have the option of reducing or changing the amount applied to zero, instead of the other way around.

I would think that in the vast majority of checkouts, people with gift certificates want to use it now, so the default should be to apply the gift certificate with the option of not applying it if they want.

I've never had a customer tell me they checked out and mistakenly used their gift certificate balance.

But I get at least 3-4 people a week who complete the checkout without using the gift certificate that Zen Cart said they just redeemed, and then they want me to adjust the balance and apply their gift certificate to the order that is already complete.

Telling a customer they've redeemed a gift certificate during checkout and then not applying it makes for unhappy customers.

thanks,

Ed

Plugin Contributions

In re-reading my last message, I think maybe I'm needlessly complicating this.

For me, the issue is that if a customer redeems a gift certificate DURING the checkout process, I would like to have the gift certificate balance applied to that order. Can this be done?

thanks,

Ed

Plugin Contributions

You would have to work out the calculation to use based on the Total, Gift Certificate amount and existing Customer Balance ... but if you look at the code in the Gift Certificate ot_gv you could add this to set the amount to the specific Gift Certificate just redeemed:
    Code:
            $_SESSION['cot_gv'] = $gv_result->fields['coupon_amount'];
            //          zen_redirect(zen_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_PAYMENT, 'error_message=' . urlencode(ERROR_REDEEMED_AMOUNT. $currencies->format($gv_amount)), 'SSL'));
            $messageStack->add_session('redemptions',ERROR_REDEEMED_AMOUNT. $currencies->format($gv_amount), 'success' );
    I don't know the calculations off the top of my head ...
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Ok, thanks.

Yes, Zen Cart already handles an amount placed into the "amount to apply" box nicely and even holds the value if you decide to leave the checkout flow and then come back to it later.

So I think that all I need to do is to get the gift certificate value into the variable for "amount to apply" instead of it defaulting to zero. Once there, Zen Cart should automatically calculate what is allowed.

I'll continue looking at it to see if I can figure it out.

thanks again,

Ed

Plugin Contributions

This is a change in the newer versions of Zen-Cart right? I have an older Zen-Cart store that does not do this. When a customer enters a gift certificate code during checkout and clicks Continue, it brings them back to Step 2 again and prompts them to enter the amount they want to redeem. Although annoying, this makes more sense.

I have a 1.3.9h store that does the same thing as edadk described above, and it is terrible, SO confusing for customers!!! What would I need to do to make it work the way it worked in older versions of Zen?

Thanks.
    Danielle

I have the same problems as the OP...any chance of an easy fix?

Plugin Contributions

I am not following just what you want ...

What version Zen Cart do you have?

You want to have when the customer enters the GV redeem code that they just go on to the checkout_confirmation?

Or, do you want that they stay on the checkout_payment with the message that the GV code was redeemed so they can enter the amount?

Or what are you asking for?
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

If a customer redeems a gift certificate during the checkout process, I'd like ZenCart to assume that the customer intends to actually use the gift certificate right now.

I would like it to default to using the maximum amount of the gift certificate balance possible/required, with an option to change that or not use it for this purchase.

Examples.
    1. A buyer is purchasing $20 worth of goods and redeems a $25 gift certificate during the checkout process. The default action should be that the gift certificate balance covers the entire purchase amount without the buyer having to specify, but the buyer can change that if they wish.

2. A buyer is purchasing $100 worth of goods and redeems a $25 gift certificate during the checkout process. The default action should be that the gift certificate balance reduces the balance due on the order and the customer pays for the rest of the order using usual payment methods available.

Using v1.39h

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast