Default Meta Tag Question/Help

Here is my question/issue....

When going to my website, index page I use FF tool to inspect element... expand <Head> my Meta info is totally different from what is in my includes/languages/english/meta_tags.php or even the individual products I have updated with meta tags from ADMIN -

I've looked in all other files and ran the developers tool kit to try to locate where else this could be held.

I had someone helping me get this site started and do remember the original entry of meta tags as they are seen on the index, but person is unavailable to let me know where he had put it..

I've read all the forums but still unable to locate similar situation and fix. Let me know if you need more info to help with this.. thanks in advance

website is www.mysticalmoons.com

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Meta Tag Question/Help

Can you explain what you're *expecting* to see, vs what you're *actually* seeing? Using specific products or pages as an example?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Sure, thanks for your response.

Meta Content KEYWORDS – on HTML header output –
    Specials New Arrivals Alchemy, Ritual & Spell Supplies Altar Cloths, Tables and Tiles Amulets and Talismans Books, Calendars, CD's & DVD's Candles and Holders Cloth Totes, Bags and Pouches Decorations, Statues and More Herbs, Smokes, Teas Incense, Burners and Charcoal Oils, Oil Rings and Diffusers Stones, Crystals, and Gems Tarot, Scrying and Divination Gift Certificates Jewelry Altar & Ritual Items wiccan,pagan,witchcraft,Feng Shui,spells,wiccan supplies,witchcraft supplies,occult supplies,magick,shaman,wicca, tarot, astrology,herbs,herbal,fairies,Divination, Tarot, Scrying, Altar,Ritual Supplies, Calendars, Almanacs & Guides Statues, Figurines, CD, DVD, Spiritual,Ritual, Baths Crystals, Stones, Herbs, Oils,Incense, Candles,Accessories ,Cabinets, Herb Incense Ritual Books, Jewelry, Hearth & Home, Pagan Kids, Teens, Health, Wellness, Gift Ideas, Gift Certificates,Faeries,Fairies,Fae,Fairy,Alchemy, Gothic,Windchimes,Wind Chimes,Tapestries,Wall Hangings,mystickal,magickal, magickal, magick, metaphysics,occult supplies, online shop, retail, new age, holistic,blades, athames, knives, altar kits, altar supplies,pagan shopping,crystal balls, divination, tarot, wands, chakra, healing, candles, oils, herbs, incense, celtic, egyptian, jewelry, goddess, pentacle, pentagram, altar cloth, cauldrons, altar tables, altars, spellcasting supplies, spellcasting, books, pagan books, wiccan books, bells, gongs,online shopping
    Meta Content DESCRIPTION – on HTML header output –
    Mystical Moons! : - Specials New Arrivals Alchemy, Ritual & Spell Supplies Altar Cloths, Tables and Tiles Amulets and Talismans Books, Calendars, CD's & DVD's Candles and Holders Cloth Totes, Bags and Pouches Decorations, Statues and More Herbs, Smokes, Teas Incense, Burners and Charcoal Oils, Oil Rings and Diffusers Stones, Crystals, and Gems Tarot, Scrying and Divination Gift Certificates Jewelry Altar & Ritual Items wiccan,pagan,witchcraft,Feng Shui,spells,wiccan supplies,witchcraft supplies,occult supplies,magick,shaman,wicca, tarot, astrology,herbs,herbal,fairies,Divination, Tarot, Scrying, Altar,Ritual Supplies, Calendars, Almanacs & Guides Statues, Figurines, CD, DVD, Spiritual,Ritual, Baths Crystals, Stones, Herbs, Oils,Incense, Candles,Accessories ,Cabinets, Herb Incense Ritual Books, Jewelry, Hearth & Home, Pagan Kids, Teens, Health, Wellness, Gift Ideas, Gift Certificates,Faeries,Fairies,Fae,Fairy,Alchemy, Gothic,Windchimes,Wind Chimes,Tapestries,Wall Hangings,mystickal,magickal, magickal, magick, metaphysics,occult supplies, online shop, retail, new age, holistic,blades, athames, knives, altar kits, altar supplies,pagan shopping,crystal balls, divination, tarot, wands, chakra, healing, candles, oils, herbs, incense, celtic, egyptian, jewelry, goddess, pentacle, pentagram, altar cloth, cauldrons, altar tables, altars, spellcasting supplies, spellcasting, books, pagan books, wiccan books, bells, gongs,online shopping
    Above is what I am unable to locate on the meta_tags.php this is only listed via inspect element on FF off the main web page mysticalmoons.com

Below is what is listed on the meta_tags.php - similar but different.

includes/languages/english/meta_tags.php -no define Definitions
    define('CUSTOM_KEYWORDS', 'wiccan,pagan,witchcraft,Feng Shui,spells,wiccan supplies,witchcraft supplies,occult supplies,magick,shaman,wicca, tarot, astrology,herbs,herbal,fairies,Divination, Tarot, Scrying, Altar,Ritual Supplies, Calendars, Almanacs & Guides Statues, Figurines, CD, DVD, Spiritual,Ritual, Baths Crystals, Stones, Herbs, Oils,Incense, Candles,Accessories ,Cabinets, Herb Incense Ritual Books, Jewelry, Hearth & Home, Pagan Kids, Teens, Health, Wellness, Gift Ideas, Gift Certificates,Faeries,Fairies,Fae,Fairy,Alchemy, Gothic,Windchimes,Wind Chimes,Tapestries,Wall Hangings,mystickal,magickal, magickal, magick, metaphysics,occult supplies, online shop, retail, new age, holistic,blades, athames, knives, altar kits, altar supplies,pagan shopping,crystal balls, divination, tarot, wands, chakra, healing, candles, oils, herbs, incense, celtic, egyptian, jewelry, goddess, pentacle, pentagram, altar cloth, cauldrons, altar tables, altars, spellcasting supplies, spellcasting, books, pagan books, wiccan books, bells, gongs,online shopping');
    I am trying to locate where/what file could be located to update it. Actually, correct it to be in the correct location on meta_tags.php

I am editing the meta tags in products right now, so yes those I understand and know how to change individually. Its only finding where zencart is pulling the first part on the html head of page. I've looked in every file I could think of as well as run through developers kit and could not find.

thanks in advance -

Plugin Contributions

I don't know specifically what the root of your problem is, but you are abusing the keywords and description meta tags. What you are doing is called keyword stuffing.

The keywords meta tag is not used by any major search engines. However, the accepted rule for many years is that the keywords meta tag should not contain any keywords that do not appear on that page. At one time it was a common belief that what you are doing would lead to penalties.

The description meta tag is not used for ranking purposes by any major search engine. If you form it correctly, it should display as the description for a web page in search results, which makes it a marketing tool. You are limited to about 180 characters for the description meta tag. No search engine displays more than that in search results. Google requires that each description meta tag in a site be unique. In other words, you should not use the same description meta tag throughout the site.

If the meta tags are hard-coded, you should be able to find which script they are located in by using the search function in the admin area.

Tools > Developers Tool Kit > Look-up in all files

Do a search for the first few words for the meta tag data you are looking for. You should easily find the correct script.

If this is a home page issues,based upon what you are describing you probably are looking in a core file, but the meta tags displayed are in an override file.

Plugin Contributions

are the tags in the 'html_header.php' file?
    They should NOT be.

DrByte,

The reason I am trying to find the ones that are listed in the htlm header are for those reasons you mentioned. They were added onto my site by someone that was helping me at the time. He has now since been unavailable.

I have run the developer kit as you said multiple times x100 to no avail. They are not popping up when I do, and is why I came here because I was at a loss.

usr50,

They show up when I use inspect element with FF, and pull down the html section. But when I go to any html file on the server they are not there.

This is my problem, I must be missing a file somewhere, and I've looked in every one I could think of - anything that a meta tag would or could be located that I am aware of.

Its on the site but not I baffled... any help - idea where to look would be appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Zen Cart automatically adds all your top level category names as keywords, in addition to the CUSTOM_KEYWORDS you've configured. Isn't that what you're seeing?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.