Plugin Contributions

Default Add more fields to checkout? PLEASE HELP

Hello,

My customer does not display pricing nor need to do any calculation on the site. They do all payment processing offline. I just need the cart to collect the product and customer info and send the order.

Basically the cart works like this: I want to order this, ship it here, this is my name and address and customer number.

I am using the Purchaser Order module. That works great...

I do however, need to add 2 additional fields to my checkout and I just CANNOT find one succinct answer.

I tried the "How Did You Hear About Us" module/extension but it is not sending the results to the table... it seems to only be for the login page and I need it for the checkout page.

Specifically, I want to add additional fields to the tpl_checkout_shipping_default.php page.

I am in no way an expert on php, I can modify carts, move things around, but I just cannot seem to manage this.

Can someone please point me to the right answer, or help me!

I just want to add the question:

DO YOU WANT TO INSURE SHIPMENT: •YES OR •NO
    and use radio buttons so either one has to be selected and send the result to the orders table

and add AN ADDITIONAL COMMENT BOX
    that's it... that's all I want to add, and have the information go into the "ORDERS" table also.

I am using the Customer Comment box already. I need another one.

How can I easily do this??
    thank you for any help.

Presently using: v1.3.9h

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Add more fields to checkout? PLEASE HELP

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Add more fields to checkout? PLEASE HELP

There's more involved in adding a new control (checkbox, etxtbox, dropdown etc) than just sticking it in the code.

A variable has to be defined, value assigned after the customer picks. If the transaction is completed value inserted into the database (in a new field in an existing orders table or a new table) and associated with that order_id.

Then that value has to be retrieved from the database whenever the customer looks at their order in their account, or you do anything in the admin having to do with that order. Invoice, edit order, update status. It can't just be an option during checkout and then vanish into the ether. So at the least you need another variable and value being passed and more controls to display it on all the possible pages where it could be recalled and edited.

Properly written modules do all that. Since this is just a yes/no, can't you ask customers to put it in the comments box? We do that for clothing sizes. "Please enter the size and color desired in the comments area during checkout". 99.9% of the people put it in.