Plugin Contributions

Default Ireland/N.Ireland/UK problem

A bit of back ground info first: We are a company based in N.Ireland, but 90% of our customers are in the Rep of Ireland, and we offer free delivery to customers in Ireland (north and south), but charge for delivery to Britain (england, scotland and wales). We currently accept payment with euros and Sterling via paypal.

We are currently moving to Elavon/realex and the Elavon account only accepts euros. So this is what we want

RoI: Free delivery, Elavon/realex Euro checkout
    N.Ire: Free delivery, Sterling checkout (paypal?)
    GB: Paid Delivery, Sterling checkout (paypal?)

The problem is it seems that RoI has a ISO code and UK has a ISO code, but N.Ireland does not have a ISO code so you can't differentiate it and the rest of the UK.

At the moment i have it setup with paypal for free delivery, the options text says "Rep of Ireland & N.Ireland" but the ISO code is IR and its set for free delivery and The other is "Great Britain (Scotland, England, Wales) and the code is set for GB. And orders seem to come though fine with that.

But even if realex accepts the "wrong" ISO code for N.Ireland (like paypal does) I don't know how to differentiate between the south for different currencies.

Any help would be great, thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Ireland/N.Ireland/UK problem

Hi Paddy,

When I go about Rep of I, NI, and mainland UK, I usually make up a ISO for NI lol no seriously, what I do is create 3 Zones, Rep of Ireland, Northern Ireland and United Kingdom.

Now, you can still use the UK iso on both NI and UK.

Just set up your zones like this, seperating the UK counties for Mainland UK and Northern Ireland.

United Kingdom (GB) - Greater London, Cheshire, etc
    Northern Ireland (GB) - Down, Armagh, etc
    Rep of Ireland (IE) - Dublin, Cork, Kerry, etc

So now that you have kept the UK iso for northern ireland, you also have each delivery destination seperated so you can now set your rates for each one accordingly.

Ok, its gone 2am and im tired ready for my pillow 2 hours ago.. so if you dont understand any (or all) of the above, just let me know and I will try and explain better when i'm awake lol

Laters

DB

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the reply dropbop

We decided to open an sterling account with Elavon so realex will just pay into either the euro or sterling account when a transaction goes though. Side effects are someone could try and pay in sterling with a laser card which will give them an currency error but don't think many (any) will try that. Also double fees with Elavon but still better than paypal fees.

Don't know will a "wrong" ISO code for N.Ireland might be an issue with Realex, but use your fix to fix that. Thanks

Just to get it clear in my head, basicly you can do separate shipping charges for each country and therefore fee for the 6 countries in the north and the charge for the rest of the "UK"

Plugin Contributions

Hi Paddy,

I was thinking about your situation earlier today, and another option that will let you take any debit card (in UK, Ireland or anywhere in Europe) or credit card is moneybookers. If you have already set up with a merchant account then maybe go with what you have, but moneybookers could be worth a look to take payments too and no separate merchant account is needed either.

When it comes to shipping, you can use the zones like I said above. You can have a separate shipping module (maybe a few table rate modules) for each one. The reason I say use separate modules for each is because you will need to set each one to each zone if you want to have separate shipping for NI.

So you would end up with something like this...

Shipping module 1 (table rate to Mainland UK) set Zone Mainland UK
    Shipping module 2 (table rate to N. Ireland) set zone to N. Ireland
    Shipping module 3 (table rate to Rep. of Ireland) set to Zone Ireland

If you have a single fee for shipping no matter what size the order, then you could also use the Flat Rate module <-- click

The table rate module can be found here <-- click

Those modules are fairly handy to set up, its just a matter of changing some text in the files, the instructions are quite clear in the read-me files.
    You can add as many as you like, so if you want to start shipping to France, you can set up a zone for France and duplicate another shipping module for it.

Hope I haven't confused you, but thought it was worth mentioning.

All the best

DB

Plugin Contributions

Many shipping modules can be CLONED. Look for a post by fairestcape - search the forum for FLATONE .
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the replys.

I didn't set up the store that i'm working on now, but its seems that there are 2 Flate rate shipping modules (cloned) installed on it, One for free shipping to Rep of Ireland and one for paid for the uk. So all i have to do it clone a third Flate rate shipping module for N.Ireland give it free shipping and I can give it the "proper" iso code.

thanks for the help

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Furn View Post
    Thanks for the replys.

I didn't set up the store that i'm working on now, but its seems that there are 2 Flate rate shipping modules (cloned) installed on it, One for free shipping to Rep of Ireland and one for paid for the uk. So all i have to do it clone a third Flate rate shipping module for N.Ireland give it free shipping and I can give it the "proper" iso code.

thanks for the help
    Ah thats handy, that should save you some effort :)