Plugin Contributions

Default Help putting .pem file to server

I am super clueless as to what I'm doing, so I need more then plain English, please.
    I have v1.3.9h zen cart. I've looked and found answers to my problem but I'm still confused.
    What does Using your FTP program, upload this file to your webserver to: /includes/modules/payment/linkpoint_api/XXXXXX.pem (xxxxxx is your store id, provided by LinkPoint/YourPay )"
    mean?
    I have the file on my computer, I have no clue what an ftp program is. So I have no clue where to put this.
    I need super easy directions, what do they say, laymans terms?
    HEEEELP! This is me... Amy

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Help putting .pem file to server

FTP means "File Transfer Protocol", and is the system to move a file from one computer, over the internet, to another computer (for example, from your computer at home, to your website server.)

You should use a good FTP program for eCommerce site management. I prefer WS FTP PRO by Ipswitch, but there is a free FTP program called FILEZILLA.

(WSFTP PRO encrypts the passwords, whereas FILEZILLA does not. Some people suggest this is a security vulnerability.)

Whichever FTP program you obtain, you just install it on your home machine.

Your webhost will have sent you LOGIN DETAILS for FTP, when you opened your hosting account.

You will need to install and activate your FTP program, then, configure it to find the remote machine (usually a URL) and then you will be allowed to login to that remote machine after providing valid user and password names.

You may find video tutorials on FTP processes on youtube. I know that Ipswitch has a video tutorial for WSFTP Pro
    Last edited by schoolboy; 15 Apr 2011 at 08:52 PM.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Ok, I got the FTP up and running, but I have no clue where to put that file?
    Gosh this is hard, how do you people do it every day without getting a headache? And thanks for trying to help!

Plugin Contributions

Take things slowly, Amy. A few years ago I was in the same boat, so it's just a case of learning.

The most important thing when loading files to the server using FTP is to use the right PROTOCOL and to make sure the file goes to the right LOCATION.

PROTOCOL... A file can be either BINARY or ASCII. Your FTP program should be set to "AUTO-DETECT", in which case it will transfer the binary and ascii files correctly.

LOCATION... This is simply to make sure that the DIRECTORY "TREE" is followed.

Imagine that you are working in MS Word, and you are typing a letter to Aunt Mary...Xmas_letter.doc

... You will SAVE that MS Word Doc in a Directory under:

My Documents/Letters/Aunt_Mary/Xmas_letter.doc

That is the "Tree" of directories where you locate that letter to Aunt mary.

Your website is no different. The FILES will be stored in FOLDERS (Directories), that may themselves be in other directories, that may in turn be in a main directory.

You just need to ensure that the PATH given in the instructions, is followed... so that the FILE you want to load gets put into the right folder (directory) on the server.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

When you connect to your server via FTP, the ROOT folder is usually called: public_html (or on some servers, httpdocs.

So, open that ROOT folder, and you will probably see the includes folder...

... continue "drilling down" (opening each folder) until you reach:

/includes/modules/payment/linkpoint_api/

... and that's where you put: XXXXXX.pem
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Thank you! I got that done with your directions and meant to come back to thank you. Had to take some time off from these headaches!