Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Is SimpleScript installed better in long term?

my zencart is 1.3.8 and is manually installed? I'd like to know how to delete it and install by Simple Script installer, which seems to be replacing Fantastico.

1. Is there a safe way to do this?
    2. I just thought SimpleScript might give easy, push button upgrade chance. Am I right? Will it save labor compared to manually upgrading each time with new release ?

Thank you all.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to upgrade manually installed zc? Is SimpleScript installed better in long te

No. You should never trust any "automated" upgrade tools if your site is running Zen Cart v1.x.x. You really should be doing manual upgrades if you want a safe upgrade.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to upgrade manually installed zc? Is SimpleScript installed better in long te

Please bear with my another stupid question: upgrading always has been a big stop for me.
    I assumed:
    Template overrides, and custom folders should keep all or most customization. And every time, upgrade / new version comes up, just push button of automatic installers, such as mentioned above, and upgraded site should happen. By default the core new upgrade version won't touch mod files and folders and custom folders.

But it is not so? At least, overtime I forget which mods were installed.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by zenartman View Post
    By default the core new upgrade version won't touch mod files and folders and custom folders.
    That would be almost impossible. Most modules touch core files. If you automate with this fantastic system. You still have to use Winmerge and compare the custom override files to the new Zen Cart core files to see if the .php script has changed...

Much easier and saves time to do a Manual Upgrade ...
    Mark
    Hare Do

Plugin Contributions

Upgrading will not touch most template and mod files, but some mods may involve non-overrideable core files which would then be lost, and any template/mod files whose originals were changed in the update would have to be manually merged to get the customization and the upgrade in the same file.

Plugin Contributions

Comparing many many files is daunting. I see similar sentiment comment here:

Quote Originally Posted by pagypsy View Post
    on a similar note, i was under the impression that it would be easier and safer to do a clean install, rather than comparing the thousands of different files in winmerge. thousands of different files is what i have, thus the consideration of a clean install. i have begun the upgrade process several times and then deleted and started over. after importing the database to the clean install, mostly everything is there except for my template and cosmetic changes. the add-ons come along too, but of course are not working until you reinstall each addon. wouldn't a clean install be less time consuming than an upgrade where thousands of files need to be compared side by side? if so, the only question i have, and which stops me from completing the upgrade/clean install, is how do you uninstall the add-ons (to re-install new versions of each) from the database after it's been imported?

i've read the upgrade instructions several times. i've tried it several times. but i stop when it comes to comparing all the files.
    That's the same problem for me. But, as you guys recommend, it must be no problem for you or most people. How do you guys find out all differences by Winmerge? Do you methodically go through each folder one by one, how much time does it take generally? I think, as much as I remember, i was starting with clean install each time upgrade was needed.

Plugin Contributions

You can compare the whole fileset in one operation for starters; with the right settings, it will show all the files/folders that are different, and you can then narrow your attention to ones that are actually different in their code.
    Also, if you are upgrading by one version, the changelog will show all changed files, and you can compare that to your template folders and files. If you have mods that touch core files, you should have a list of the files involved - this is important information to keep in a safe place.

thousands of different files is what i have
    That is a tremendous quantity of changed files, far more than any normal site will have. What did you do with your site to change that many files? Are they really all different, or is it some artifact of the systems you are using?
    Last edited by gjh42; 18 May 2011 at 04:52 AM.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by zenartman View Post
    Comparing many many files is daunting. I see similar sentiment comment here: {quote removed}
    Since you're into quoting other discussions, please follow the advice I gave in reply to that post: http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showpo...96&postcount=7

File comparison is no more daunting than you make it.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gjh42 View Post
    That is a tremendous quantity of changed files, far more than any normal site will have. What did you do with your site to change that many files? Are they really all different, or is it some artifact of the systems you are using?
    I have always paid somebody to do these upgrades for me, and was fully prepared to do so again. But they have bailed on me, and this is why:

"After a day and a half's work I'm still not even close to finding all the differences between your current site and the original 1.3.8a version (WinMerge shows thousands of file differences). Still to come would be transferring the changes to the new version, then reinstalling the mods, of which some may not be compatible... then uploading 600MB of files back to your host which could take an entire day.

Unfortunately, much of this complexity is because of Zen Cart itself, first because their upgrade requires comparing so many files for changes, and second because they don't provide "patches" to overlay only files changed between versions, instead making you have to transfer everything to a new build.

At some point it's just not worth you spending that much money just for a version upgrade."

So now I am on my own, and yes I suppose I am looking for some shortcuts. I feel abandoned, and am not interested in all this backend stuff which seems to have multiplied in a blink of an eye.

Plugin Contributions

There is a huge difference between files compared in Win merge which are listed as "Modified" or as "Different" or as not listed in one version or the other you are comparing.

1. 'images', unless your site has already been hacked then the contents of the 'images' folder are of no concern.
    2. The 'Docs' folder will always have some additional files between one version and another.
    3. As in 2 with the zc_install folder.
    4. If you have your own template then those files will only be listed in your copy of your existing site.

This narrows things down considerably.

Unfortunately, much of this complexity is because of Zen Cart itself
    Unfortunately, with the current version that is true, and is historical rather than deliberate. Only softwares which have been built from the ground up and in recent years can be upgraded automatically, because they are completely modular in design with no need to touch core files to include add-ons.

But that has to be set against the fact that it is precisely because Zen Cart has been around for such a long time that it has so many useful add-ons and such a strong user and support base.

Vger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast