Plugin Contributions

Default Upgrading from PHP 4.X to 5.2.14 -Will ZC 3.7, 3.8A, and 3.9 versions & mods work?

Hi Zen Cart peoples....

I recently became aware of an option to upgrade my hosting account from 4.X to 5.2.14. The condition is, once I upgrade, I cannot undo the change.

I have a few carts...one is a 1.3.7, another a 1.3.8A, and a couple of 1.3.9H carts, with many mods from this site.

Will anything reportedly NOT work with the upgrade?

I'm guessing that the newest carts, 1.3.9H, will be OK (though I did have to make a few changes to get them to even work on the older PHP version-- http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167121 and other posts) but the older versions are the ones that I'm concerned about.

The only reason I even want to upgrade is that there are WordPress and PHPBB3 mods that require it. How about for ZC? Do any mods *require* newer PHP?

Thanks...
    Last edited by Donn; 21 Apr 2011 at 03:51 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgrading from PHP 4.X to 5.2.14 -Will ZC 3.7, 3.8A, and 3.9 versions & mods work

Your best move will be to upgrade all carts as you are asking to be hacked with the older ones
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgrading from PHP 4.X to 5.2.14 -Will ZC 3.7, 3.8A, and 3.9 versions & mods work

Quote Originally Posted by Donn View Post
    The only reason I even want to upgrade is that there are WordPress and PHPBB3 mods that require it. How about for ZC? Do any mods *require* newer PHP?
    Kobra's right. Over the past couple of years hacking of sites (wordpress, phpbb, zen cart, doesn't matter) seems to have become less random and far more targeted. Hacks are widely shared and people go looking systematically for sites that fit the profile for a particular hack. So keeping up-to-date is no longer optional, especially in the e-commerce world where you're responsible for the transmission of other people's financial data.

However, to answer your question, yes there will undoubtedly be some mods that use php structures or libraries that are only available in php5. But there's no definitive list that I know of.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

help question Re: Upgrading from PHP 4.X to 5.2.14 -Will ZC 3.7, 3.8A, and 3.9 versions & mods work

Thanks for the replies.

I am in the planning part of the process of upgrading now...I've never done it before, and I'm starting with the 1.3.7, but that's for another thread....

I wanted to upgrade my current version of PHP before upgrading the 1.3.7 cart, so that I can just install the new 1.3.9h cart without having to make the changes necessary for it to work with the older PHP, as I had to do for other 1.3.9H carts, because I will only have to change them back to work with PHP 5, once I upgrade.

(All my other 1.3.9H carts will likewise have to be fixed; when I installed them they didn't work with the cart code as-is.)

My concern is whether the 1.3.8a cart continue to work with the new version of PHP. Upgrading that cart is going to be a much more involved job, and I'd rather not have it not able to work without having something (tested, and being ready) in place to replace the old cart.

So, will 1.3.8A (and all mods) continue to work with PHP 5.2.14??

I am definitely going to upgrade that cart as well, but until then, I need it to work with the newer version of PHP.

Until I know for sure, I'm not going to do ANYthing further.

I also saw some post about some other PHP program that needed updating using global search-and-replace to update deprecated keywords in PHP. Is anything like that necessary for this??

Thanks...

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

So, will 1.3.8A (and all mods) continue to work with PHP 5.2.14??
    v1.3.8a will work, but your mods may or may not ... depends on how each was written.
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=6

I also saw some post about some other PHP program that needed updating using global search-and-replace to update deprecated keywords in PHP. Is anything like that necessary for this??
    As far as Zen Cart core code, that's already been taken-care-of in the latest version.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.