Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default How do i install a mod to a new zen install?

Hi All

I've finally installed my first cart.

Took me a while to do that as its not something i've done before but i got there with the help of the hosting company.

I want to install a few mods that will help me out but i get half way through reading the read me file and i get lost. i'll give an example.

the read me file says

Define new Filename

includes/filenames.php

add before ?>

define('FILENAME_EXCEL', 'excel.php');

Have i got to make a new file ? rename the one i have ?

This is just one of the problems i'm having. One of the other mods i'm trying to install says : Upload files to your store directory; the directory structure design for zen cart 1.3.8a, if you still have standard installation you can just upload files in modifications folder, if not please do step 2 and 3.

Well i have version 1.3.9 but i can't see a modifications folder.

I didn't have a lot of hair and i've got even less now so if anyone can help i'd be grateful.

Thanks and Regards Dave

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How do i install a mod to a new zen install?

In the first case, it wants you to open the includes/filenames.php file and add that define ( define('FILENAME_EXCEL', 'excel.php');) to the ones that are there. I would place it in the bottom section between EMAIL_EXTRAS and FEATURED_PRODUCT_MODULE, but it doesn't really matter.

I don't understand the second question, but if you installed version 1.3.8, upgrade to 1.3.9h before you go any further.

What mod are you referring to in question #2 ?

Plugin Contributions

Also, that instruction is a little dangerous anyway as that's a file that typically gets overridden during upgrades. Better would be to create a new file with just that line and put it into your admin/includes/extra_datafiles or includes/extra_datafiles depending on whether the file is going to be used in your admin or the store side of your site. (sorry to muddy the waters still further)
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Ok, Sorry to have confused you all

The first part is an excel easy populate mod,

I've installed the code in the place recommended but the next stage is to : Set 777 permission for /admin_FOLDER/temp/.

I haven't got an admin_FOLDER as the first part was : Upload files from /admin_FOLDER/ to your admin folder and now i can't find what file i need to change permissions on.

Sorry if this lot is simple to you but like i say this is my first install and thanks for your help so far.

Regards Dave

Plugin Contributions

Hi
    The "admin_FOLDER" is refering to the admin folder your renamed during the instalation process.
    so you simply change any reference to "admin_FOLDER" to "the new name of your admin folder"
    clear as mud?

Plugin Contributions

Thats what i thought it was but i was worried that setting read write and execute for owner, group and public was wrong and would leave my site wide open to attacks as this is my admin folder.

Suppose its just my suspicious mind and i wanted to make sure i was doing things right.

Thanks again for all your help, i've no doubt i'll be asking for more as this is kinda baffling me. I'm determined though and will keep plodding on even if i don't get all my mods done.

Plugin Contributions

Ok, sorry about this but i'm getting more confused as i carry on.

i've tried to install 4 mods and none of them have worked, i've tried to change my logo and it won't work, i've changed my favicon and this works in Opera but won't work in IE, what the am i doing wrong ?

Ok, rant over, on a serious note i'm at a loss, i'm using filezilla as it has been mentioned probably more than any other ftp program, i'm using notepad++ to edit files as again it has been mentioned alot in the reading i've done but it seems i'm doing something wrong.

Has anyone had a similar experience to this and if so how did you combat it ?

Pleaseeeeeeee help and keep it simple as i'm still learning

Regards Dave

Plugin Contributions

I get that you're confused, but at this point you're not giving us much that we can work with to help you. For example, you haven't even told us which mods you're trying to install ,let alone how far you got and in which way they're not working.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Example of which mods?
    step by step of what you done to instal and maybe we can spot the error

Plugin Contributions

Wow, this is hard work.

Ok, i'm gonna forget about the mods and work at them one by one when i have a bit more experience.

The current problems are as follows.

I logged into my admin area and the tabs at the top of the pages have disappeared. I've attached a screenshot of my page to help.

The next problem is my favicon. I don't understand how it appears in Firefox and Opera but still shows the hosting companies on IE.

I changed my favicon to a .ico file and sized it to 16x16. Then i uploaded it directly into public_html folder but IE still won't show it.

Thanks in advance for your help guys, please bear with me but i'm sure with your help i'll get there.

Regards Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast