Plugin Contributions

Default Customized title not shown on home page

Version being used is 1.3.9h, no upgrade. No addons. Have only removed 'Contratulations' msg and modifed main page to remove reference to purchasing manual.

Tried the instructions in https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=17 and it does not change the browser bar on any page. All page browser bars are still concatenated original title and tagline.

This tutorial: https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=36 refers to the english.php file before the meta tags were moved to meta_tag.php. Copying and modifying english.php as per tutorial #36 has no effect. Also tried creating 'custom' directory both under /english and under languages; no change. I've tried this with both 'custom' and 'mine' for the names of the folders, no difference.

I've searched the forums, the tutorials, and even reinstalled. Nothing works.

URL is fiddly - bits .com (minus spaces) /shop.

If this is a bug, did six years for/at Microsoft and am glad to help with repros or whatever. If this is just a documentation issue, glad to test out different steps to see if they work.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Customized title not shown on home page

Not a bug, you just need to "take the shrink-wrap off" another tutorial. https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=230 will talk to you about the override system and it's wonders.

The Overrides Chart at http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=298 is a MUST as well.

Bottom line is that you should try to do most changes in an override (custom) directory so that:

1. We can find them later
    2. Upgrades don't wipe out your hard work.

Plugin Contributions

I've already perused and understand the concept of the override system; basically, don't dink with the core code, use a .css or .php file to over-ride it. I've searched the forum. I've read every tutorial I could get my hands on, and tried everything, and I have seriously considered this might be user error, but I have followed the tutorials to the letter without success several times and I've installed Windows and Linux servers, including SQL, Exchange and the like on the Windows versions and mail gateways and spam checkers on Linux so I don't think it's PEBCAK.

It may not be a bug in the code, but it may be that the documentation needs to be updated or modified, hence my caveat to that effect; as a for instance, do I need to have a custom template before I can proceed? Tut. #17 doesn't say I do. Doesn't tell me to create the 'custom' directory, just seems to assume I'm coming from somewhere I already might have done. If there are steps missing - and they might be very small, basic steps, but when you try to teach someone to knit a sweater you don't tell them to knit three rows of ribbing before you show them how to hold the needles - or other tutorials that need to be referenced, they really should be added to the existing tuts.

Plugin Contributions

p.s.: thx for the pointer to the overrides chart; doesn't help this problem but makes it much easier to 'see' where I'm going with FileZilla.

Plugin Contributions

From article 17
    Replace the title and tagline text with your own text, making sure that the single quote marks are not left out and new quote marks are not added.
    Save the edited file to includes/languages/english/custom/meta_tags.php and upload it to your server.

Recomended additional reading:

How do I set up the template overrides?
    Did you perhaps save the file to an actual includes/languages/english/custom/meta_tags.php? If you are not using the override system, you would not use custom. It's used in the tutorials to stand for whatever you have named your override directory.
    We use CUSTOM for your template and ENGLISH for your language by default. These generic terms should be changed to the name of the template/language you are using.
    Since you have not done an override (you should before you go any further), you would save the file to includes/languages/english/meta_tags.php

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    From article 17Did you perhaps save the file to an actual includes/languages/english/custom/meta_tags.php?

If you are not using the override system, you would not use custom. It's used in the tutorials to stand for whatever you have named your override directory.
    Yes, saved it there. Also tried a directory called 'mine' when I was using the .css file from a template I found on the Internets; nothing I have read so far says that the directory and template name need to match, so I didn't make them.

The process by which I invoke the override system seems to include a template of my choice, and http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36567 says you can call the directory you put it in anything you bloody well please, but again, nothing I've seen says the directory and template name have to match and nothing says 'custom' is a reserved word.

Since you have not done an override (you should before you go any further), you would save the file to includes/languages/english/meta_tags.php
    Um...no. Modifying meta_tags.php breaks my fresh install. Blank page. Nothing on the screen.

How does one 'do' an override? Does it start with installing a new template? Is it possible to override the system without a custom template?

If I were to try to modify the existing meta_tags.php, like add some meta tags appropriate to the content of my site, I would break my site. Hit refresh after making the change, and blank page. Nothing shown.

If I were to copy the meta_tags.php to a 'custom' directory, whatever name I use for that directory, after modifying it with those same meta tags, or just the browser bar content, it doesn't over-ride the core code. I just made a directory under /includes/languages/english/ called 'foo' and did just that. No change in the default after hitting refresh.

NOWHERE does it say, that I have found, that the browser bar info cannot be modified unless you install a custom template. NOWHERE does it say, that I have found, that the override system requires a custom template to be installed or created in order to be invoked. It says 'make a folder and put your changed files into that folder'. Well, been there, did that, got the marks to show for it. No change.

If I take the original, fresh install using the default template, and try to modify the meta tags .php flie, I can't. Suppose I really liked the default template? Can't change the meta tags. Suppose I wanted to change the browser bar from Zen Cart! etc. Can't; modify meta_tags.php and break your site. Try copying a modified meta_tags.php to a directory you make and nothing happens when you hit refresh. No change. Nada.

I could configure everything else but the meta tags and browser bar just from manipulating other files like header.php and index.php and using somebody else's .css (for which I paid to get a license). Can't , however, do anything with the meta_tags.php file.

If that's not considered a code defect, it's at minimum a documentation defect in that the workaround is not fully explained.

Plugin Contributions

The tutorial clearly states you use the custom only if you have a custom and that custom represents the override, NOT that it is reserved.

I hesitate to suggest that you are jumping on your horse and riding madly off in all directions rather than taking time to plan the trip.

The link I gave you for the override tutorial specifically states how to create an override directory. After you started this thread, I specifically went back through each thread in the tutorial as I setup a new site. I put on my "pick it apart" hat and followed step by step in sequence starting with loading a fresh install, creating the override directory, and removing the "offending" passages from english.php, index.php and meta_tags.php.

It MIGHT be possible that someone could misconstrue the text in the tutorials, but I humbly submit that my guess would be the "skimming" culprit. We see it on the forum all the time. Many hit the highlights, ignore the docs folder, and skim the tutorials. Next they search the forum without having learned the terminology of the beast. Is it options or attributes, custom or override, admin or backend? If I'm not familiar with the terms, I try to absorb them before deciding the instructions are incorrect.

There HAVE TO BE several directories and files in order to have an override. And then, you still need to go into your admin(backend/main control) and select the template. You will accomplish little by simply throwing in a css file without creating an override.

If you purchased a template (notice I didn't say css) I hope you didn't get one from Template Monster or one of their affiliates. If so, that could well be adding to your frustration right now. Regardless, you should have received instructions with the template and it should have come with a file structure that must be followed to work at all with Zen Cart. Don't care how fancy the car, it's hard to drive it without knowing where the steering wheel, gas pedal, brake, and gear shift are located.

As for the blank page when you modified the meta_tags folder; did you search the forum for blank page? It normally means that you've made an error in editing and dropped an important apostrophe somewhere along the way. A define statement has two apostrophes. One at the beginning of the define and another at the end. Common mistakes are to delete something (like Zen Cart! The Art of e-Commerce) and also delete one or both of the apostrophes. OR... Changing the Zen Cart tag to something like 'We're the bestest!' without making it 'We\'re the bestest'.

Also, since 1.3.9 started replacing 1.3.8, the system has included a debug system that drops a file that starts with debug into the cache folder of your site. You might want to look for the cache folder and see what files are there.

In short, I think you need to quit standing in front of the microwave hollering "HURRY UP!" Multitasking is not a good thing when setting up a cart. Stop at each phase and check for accuracy and completeness. Learn the lingo. Figure out how to "order a beer, a steak, and get @#@#)" in this new language. That's what I'd do if I found myself in Greece.

It's early in your process. I'd start over fresh, do the override (with or without your template) and s l o w l y work from there.

Most everyone on this forum has been in your shoes and all of us have tried to hurry through some part of an installation. We generally wind up with

Plugin Contributions

It's been a while since I've read a tutorial, but the whole custom template thing really is pretty simple, once you grasp the concept. Here's the first thing I do when I install a new Zencart site:

I created a directory 'tree' a long time ago that had all the override folders and some of the more commonly edited files in the proper places, and named it 'customtree'. When I create a new site, I copy that tree to another directory on my local computer and change all the folders named 'custom' to the name of the template I want for the new site, and edit the template_info.php file to reflect that name.

Then I drag the includes folder of the tree to the root of the cart, then change to the new template name in Admin - Tools - Template Selection and reset the sideboxes.

I think if you get into the habit of doing this first thing, it'll make things easier.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    The tutorial clearly states you use the custom only if you have a custom and that custom represents the override, NOT that it is reserved.

I hesitate to suggest that you are jumping on your horse and riding madly off in all directions rather than taking time to plan the trip.

The link I gave you for the override tutorial specifically states how to create an override directory. After you started this thread, I specifically went back through each thread in the tutorial as I setup a new site. I put on my "pick it apart" hat and followed step by step in sequence starting with loading a fresh install, creating the override directory, and removing the "offending" passages from english.php, index.php and meta_tags.php.

It MIGHT be possible that someone could misconstrue the text in the tutorials, but I humbly submit that my guess would be the "skimming" culprit. We see it on the forum all the time. Many hit the highlights, ignore the docs folder, and skim the tutorials. Next they search the forum without having learned the terminology of the beast. Is it options or attributes, custom or override, admin or backend? If I'm not familiar with the terms, I try to absorb them before deciding the instructions are incorrect.

There HAVE TO BE several directories and files in order to have an override. And then, you still need to go into your admin(backend/main control) and select the template. You will accomplish little by simply throwing in a css file without creating an override.

If you purchased a template (notice I didn't say css) I hope you didn't get one from Template Monster or one of their affiliates. If so, that could well be adding to your frustration right now. Regardless, you should have received instructions with the template and it should have come with a file structure that must be followed to work at all with Zen Cart. Don't care how fancy the car, it's hard to drive it without knowing where the steering wheel, gas pedal, brake, and gear shift are located.

As for the blank page when you modified the meta_tags folder; did you search the forum for blank page? It normally means that you've made an error in editing and dropped an important apostrophe somewhere along the way. A define statement has two apostrophes. One at the beginning of the define and another at the end. Common mistakes are to delete something (like Zen Cart! The Art of e-Commerce) and also delete one or both of the apostrophes. OR... Changing the Zen Cart tag to something like 'We're the bestest!' without making it 'We\'re the bestest'.

Also, since 1.3.9 started replacing 1.3.8, the system has included a debug system that drops a file that starts with debug into the cache folder of your site. You might want to look for the cache folder and see what files are there.

In short, I think you need to quit standing in front of the microwave hollering "HURRY UP!" Multitasking is not a good thing when setting up a cart. Stop at each phase and check for accuracy and completeness. Learn the lingo. Figure out how to "order a beer, a steak, and get @#@#)" in this new language. That's what I'd do if I found myself in Greece.

It's early in your process. I'd start over fresh, do the override (with or without your template) and s l o w l y work from there.

Most everyone on this forum has been in your shoes and all of us have tried to hurry through some part of an installation. We generally wind up with
    Right there is the problem. If most everyone has been in my shoes, that means that there is not a comprehensive dummies kind of thing to get people past the initial setup and first finagle. The documentation for setup should make it slicker than snot. Seems more like a dried...well, whatever.

When you are very experienced at something, as you are, you have to remember that what is second nature to you is not to a noob like me.

Yes, I know I'm impatient, and I wish there was a higher setting on the gas stove than HI because I want the water to boil faster, but - on the fifth reinstall, when I STILL can't change things, my frustration and consequently my level of annoyance is higher than normal.

It's not that the instructions aren't good. It's not that they don't have information. They are, on the whole, and they do, and I've done tons to mod my site with what I've found.

Tried the override without a template. Didn't work.

Looked VERY carefully at the modified meta_tags.php when it broke my site. Didn't remove any quotes, even used a really, really big font in Notepad to make doubly sure I wasn't selecting a quote mark. Have done this FIVE times now, and statistically, one time should have worked if I were indeed whacking a quote.

The thing about escaping a quote in text is nice, but not noted in the tutorials except on the one for 'cause of blank pages'. Nice to know in advance, not after the fact, not that it made any difference because even when I only change the title to 'test' there is no change in the bloody browser bar.

Plugin Contributions

That is one option I considered, but not finding anything I wanted to implement that requires the use of some things haven't made folders in the proper place for them.