Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Free Shipping - Using cheapest method?

Hello please excuse my ignorance in advance. I have searched Zen Cart and Google trying to find out how to implement Free Shipping say based on orders for over $200 but default it to the cheapest method.

I dont want to allow for free shipping and allow the customer to pick Express Mail for instance. I still have to pay to have the item shipped and cant afford the "hit". I only ship USPS (so far) and if the customer qualifies for free shipping I only want to allow for say Parcel Post. How do I do this? I dont see anywhere where I can restrict the method. Can anyone shed some light on this? Or am I misunderstanding free shipping? I didn't see anywhere in the admin where I can control the method used.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Free Shipping - Using cheapest method?

You would first start out here:
    If so, then you would go to the Modules ... Order Totals ... Shipping ot_shipping and set Free Shipping on for Orders over 50.00

1. If the weight is over 11 ounces it should automatically go to parcel post...
    Mark
    Hare Do

Plugin Contributions

Ok I understand that. I have looked at this setting but I dont see what precludes the buyer from selecting First Class or Express shipping.

These are the normal options I give:

USPS First Class Mail (if under 13oz)
    USPS Parcel Post
    USPS Priority Mail
    USPS Express Mail

I pretty much understand how to set up the free shipping option but I just dont see where I can restrict the shipping method.

Basically I dont want a buyer to qualify for free shipping and then select the fastest and most expensive shipping option. I dont see where there is any control over this.

Maybe I dont understand exactly how this free shipping option works sorry for my ignorance.

Plugin Contributions

Be patient and wait for the "Queen of Shipping" to answer this thread...
    Mark
    Hare Do

Plugin Contributions

Are you trying to offer Free Shipping as an Option when the order is over $200 or as the only shipping when orders are over $200.00 ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

I am trying to add free shipping as an option in addition to allowing the customer to select an additional method if they would like.

The issue I have is that I dont see any way of controlling the method when the customers chooses free shipping. How do I control it so that when they select free shipping it defaults on my end to say Parcel Post as opposed to Express?

I guess my question is if the customer selects free shipping do I get to select the method? I mean I still have to pay to ship the item so I want to ship it Parcel Post for example if the customer selects free shipping. But still allow for the customer to select a different shipping method say if they needed it overnight. I apologize if I am not making my self clear.

Plugin Contributions

You could use the Free Shipping Options freeoptions shipping module and set the Total >= 200.00 ...

Then word that any way you want it to read in the language file ...
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Ya I have done this but what options are available to control the free shipping method? I dont see any. When the customer selects free shipping what method is used?

i.e.
    USPS First Class
    USPS Parcel Post
    USPS Priority Mail
    USPS Express Mail

I dont get it. Do I choose the method or does the customer? I dont see any admin setups to control this any where.

Plugin Contributions

The Free Shipping Options freeoptions doesn't have an actual "choice" so you pick the shipping method you want to use when it is selected ...

Have you tried this with your USPS shipping module and tried an order over $200.00 to see how it looks?
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

Ok so I think I have it all set up correctly. Thanks for helping me get this sorted.

I just wasn't sure how free shipping worked, I was concerned that the customer could pick the method and that would hit me hard financially in some instances.

The way I understand it now is that the customer will be offered free shipping if the purchase is over $200. (the way I have it set up) I will see the order and arrange the shipping method I choose after the purchase.

I also believe I have it set up so that if the customer so chooses they can select another regular method of shipping if they so desire to pay for it.

Thanks so much!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast