Thread: Zen-Cart Flow

Plugin Contributions

Default Zen-Cart Flow

I recently had a problem that took me three days to find. Stupid thing really but I could have looked in the right place if I knew how Zen-Cart "flows" from one page to another.

One thing I was looking for is the "continue" button on page 1 of the checkout page. What command does it call? What function? Is there something out there that shows the interaction of all the pages/commands?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Zen-Cart Flow

See "Similar Threads" below.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Looking for "Program Flow" I have found this one for v1.3. Is a v1.5 version available?

Thanks in advance,

jpda

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by jpda View Post
    Looking for "Program Flow" I have found this one for v1.3. Is a v1.5 version available?

Thanks in advance,

jpda
    I haven't looked at the details of the download referenced by following the bouncing ball on zen-cart program flow, but the general flow remains the same, it is some/significant detail that changes along with added security/checks. But same basic process still applies.

Another way to see/review the program flow is to start with the index.php file in the store root and pull in all of the details/pieces as necessary to gain the desired understanding. Someone may/may have updated such a document, but I would think it would be along the lines to make a profit as enough has stayed the same for that to generally still apply.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Thanks mc for your quick reply, I will follow your advice!
    I have been working with ZC since 2009, mostly installing, adding/adapting mods and modifying the visual aspect of templates for customers. Now I want to know about the do's and dont's of developing mods for ZC.

Cheers,

jpda

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by jpda View Post
    Thanks mc for your quick reply, I will follow your advice!
    I have been working with ZC since 2009, mostly installing, adding/adapting mods and modifying the visual aspect of templates for customers. Now I want to know about the do's and dont's of developing mods for ZC.

Cheers,

jpda
    Well, dos and donts is a separate topic than the flow of the code... There is this FAQ on program plugins, but I'm also sure there are more related links available. https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php...ion-guidelines

I look at it from, do be helpful, don't break things, do test as much as possible/feasible, don't forget security/how things can go wrong and what will happen if they do, try not to alter core code and instead provide the solution from the approach of the template or other overrideable aspect, sometimes a minor override is necessary to offer addtional capability and if/when so try to add the functionality using a notifier/observer pair.

Just some big picture dos/donts... Biggest thing: do give it your best and have fun with it, and don't be surprised to make a mistake and start all over... Life happens... :)
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Well, dos and donts is a separate topic than the flow of the code... There is this FAQ on program plugins, but I'm also sure there are more related links available. https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php...ion-guidelines

I look at it from, do be helpful, don't break things, do test as much as possible/feasible, don't forget security/how things can go wrong and what will happen if they do, try not to alter core code and instead provide the solution from the approach of the template or other overrideable aspect, sometimes a minor override is necessary to offer addtional capability and if/when so try to add the functionality using a notifier/observer pair.

Just some big picture dos/donts... Biggest thing: do give it your best and have fun with it, and don't be surprised to make a mistake and start all over... Life happens... :)
    Thanks again mc!

Cheers,

jpda