Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Moving from temporary to permanent folders

Good morning!

I'm using ZC 1.3.9h w/bluestrip_reloaded. I need to make my temporary folders, where I was learning to use ZC (still learning!), the premanent folders in the root. After reading tutorials (primarily #122) and posts in here, I think I understand. But what I can't seem to find is this:

I currently have the original ZC site up and running - obviously not well, or I wouldn't be changing. I haven't seen any threads about moving the folders to replace existing folders under the same name.

(1)The estore is currently under the root directory
    (2)The test site, which I now have working properly (except for email) is in the root directory in a folder named .../newtest/, with all the necessary folders below it.

I have downloaded all the "newtest" folders and files to my hard drive as backup. If I move the folders from "newtest" to the root, will they automatically replace the folders with the same name in the root, or do I need to delete the current folders before moving the ones I want to be active as the primary URL?

I know that I then need to change my /includes/configure files, to remove the "newtest" link - how does this affect my admin panel? I currently have the admin for the current url - do I just leave it there and use it, or move the "newtest" admin folder into it's place?

Thanks in advance for the input - this forum and the tutorials are very helpful!

Have a great day, and God bless!
    Andy
    The Ole Cowboy - Getting Older, But Not Aging
    Shannon Weston Gifts and Decor

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Moving from temporary to permanent folders

To save your old site's files, you can move all of the Zen Cart folders into a new subfolder. They won't operate from there, but they will be safe. You can (and should) also save a backup of the entire server folder content to your pc.

Then you can copy the entire test site to the root, where the original folders were, and edit the configure.php files as the tutorials instruct.

If you copy the test site over the top of the original site, you will replace all files that have the same name and filepath, but any original files that do not have corresponding versions in the test site will remain, possibly causing confusion or errors.

Plugin Contributions

Help!

I moved everything from the old store to a new folder, then moved the "newtest" fiolders to the root directory. I thought I did it correctly, but can't get admin or the site to come up. Checking back, I realized that I didn't change the Session Directory before making the changes. Now I can't get into Admin to do that.

Also, I see that, even though I made changes to the configures files offline, they didn't change when I uploaded them to the root directory. Can't figure out how to change the permissions to writabel to try that.

Can somebody give a couple of hints to someone who's still trying to learn? Finally got the dang thing pretty much the way I wanted it, now none of it's working after the move! Willing to pay for the corrections, if necessary - really don't want to uninstall zc and start over!!!

Thanks! Have a great evening, and God bless!
    Andy

Plugin Contributions

The simplest way to change your config files is:
    using your ftp client rename the ones on your server to something like config.phpOLD and then upload your modified files

Plugin Contributions

Andy,
    Use your ftp program and navigate to the configure.php file right mouse click on the file and you will see the permissions..

Or your host should give you a cpanel... yourwebsite.com/cpanel
    click on the folder called file manager and you will see all the files and folders of zen cart there.. Right mouse click and change file permission...

Or, change the ones that you have backed up to your hard drive and change the 2 configure files to match your new address..

Or, they should match your old web site so FTP the old 2 configure to your hard drive change the database, which you had for the test site, and reload back to the server for the new site..
    Mark
    Hare Do

Plugin Contributions

Hey, Donal & haredo!

I worked all the angles suggested, and had some positive results.

I have moved all the "newtest" folders back into "newtest", and I have been able to recover both my admin panel and the site: Shannon Weston Gifts - this is the site I want to move into the root directory.

I am unable to access the old admin panel - it shows

"ERROR: admin/includes/configure.php file not found. Suggest running zc_install/index.php?

And when attempting to access the old storefront - http://www.shannonwestongifts.com - a "System Setup Required" page. NOTE: This is probably because I didn't move the old site folders back into the root directory - trying to not muddy the waters.

I don't need anything pertaining to the old site (I reckon), but I need to move the newtest folders to the root.

Following the tutorial, I know I have to remove "newtest" from
    DIR_WS_CATALOG
    DIR_WS_HTTPS_CATALOG
    DIR_FS_CATALOG
    DIR_FS_SQL_CACHE
    DIR_WS_ADMIN (in admin)
    DIR_WS_HTTPS_ADMIN (in admin)
    DIR_FS_ADMIN (in admin)

I know I need to change the Sessions Directory in the admin panel (which, thanks to your help, I can now get to ).

Step 3, moving the folder, seems to be where I'm having a problem.

Any suggestions on what I might have been doing wrong, other than a problem, apparently, with permissions (still trying to find where to reset those) and the proper database link?

Thanks again for the assist - I'm working on how and where to reset the permissions ans getting this moved properly, but am going to wait until I hear back on what might be wrong.

Have a great day, and God bless!
    Andy

Plugin Contributions

This tutorial guides you through the session directory..
    Mark
    Hare Do

Plugin Contributions

And as for the rest youve done it once before but hey try again:

1. move all the files from the "newtest" folder to the root.
    2. Download the two config files via ftp to your pc, being careful to keep them seperate from each other!
    3. using your ftp or cpanel file manager, rename the config files on the server to config.phpOLD
    4 edit the two config files on your pc using your txt editor and remove all the ref to "newtest" (as in tutorial)
    5. upload these two files back up to your server again being careful that you are putting the right one in the right place
    eh volia

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Donal View Post
    And as for the rest youve done it once before but hey try again:

1. move all the files from the "newtest" folder to the root.
    2. Download the two config files via ftp to your pc, being careful to keep them seperate from each other!
    3. using your ftp or cpanel file manager, rename the config files on the server to config.phpOLD
    4 edit the two config files on your pc using your txt editor and remove all the ref to "newtest" (as in tutorial)
    5. upload these two files back up to your server again being careful that you are putting the right one in the right place
    eh volia
    Well, I got close....

I can now view the new site where it's supposed to be: http://www.shannonwestongifts.com

However, when I go to the admin panel, it's still going to http://shannonwestongifts.com/newtes...tcqq/login.php

My Sessions Directory was changed to D:Hosting4651002html/cache - took out "ewtest" after html (yeah that's what was there).

I have changed both /includes/configure.php and /adminurrhtcqq/includes/configure.php by removing all the "newtest" in the WS and FS directory settings.

What the heck am I missing? I can get to the admin panel, obviously, but can't make any changes, as it keeps referring back to the old "newtest" paths, and the online catalog won't come in from inside the admin panel. I know I have to reload some siteimages that have disappeared, and update my EZ pages links, but when I try to make changes to categories, I get 500-INTERNAL SERVER ERROR, and going to Categories/Products, I get the following error across the top of the page:

Error: Catalog images directory does not exist: D:\Hosting\4651002\html\newtest/images/

Aniother hint, maybe? This has taken me all day - I feel good that I'm making headway, but I sure would like to get this fixed so I can update stuff and start marketing the new store! My older, chemo brain just isn't grasping part of this, apparently. Again, I'd be happy to contract someone to fix theis if it's too tricky for me. I host with GoDaddy.

Thanks again for the input - it's greatly appreciated. Have a great evening, and God bless!
    Last edited by andycowboy; 8 May 2011 at 09:11 PM.
    Andy

Plugin Contributions

now we have your admin name! now you'll have to change that!!
    theres a wee mistake in one of the config files... notice the two // in the address

onwestongifts.com//adminurrh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast