Plugin Contributions

Default A better way of dealing with large define() statements?

I came across this tip on a site while checking a now obsolete thread. The site is about seven years old and mostly or completely irrelevant to current Zen Cart, but this seems like it could be useful and worth preserving. I haven't tried it yet.
    A better way of dealing with large define() statements

Many language files for static pages have the basic format of:
    <?php define('NAVBAR_TITLE', 'Page Title');
    define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Page Heading');
    define('TEXT_INFORMATION', 'Lots and lots of body text.'); ?>

This makes the TEXT_INFORMATION a b*tch to modify. Also if you're simply cutting and pasting a large amount of HTML, it means that you have to go through and make sure all of your single quotes and backslashes are escaped. Also if you're using an editor like Homesite, it won't show any color coding for any HTML tags you have. This sucks.

A better way to do it is like this:
    <?php define('NAVBAR_TITLE', 'Page Title');
    define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Page Heading');
    ob_start(); ?>
    Lots and lots of free body text.
    <?php define('TEXT_INFORMATION', ob_get_contents());
    @ob_end_clean(); ?>

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: A better way of dealing with large define() statements

Nice tip. I can think of few pages that I can use this on.

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: A better way of dealing with large define() statements?

Use with EXTREME caution, esp if your site has gzip-compression enabled. Else you'll potentially end up conflicting with the existing output buffering built-in to ZC.

Far better to use your favorite HTML editor, and just copy-and-paste from that, escaping afterwards where necessary.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Okay, I had looked at the PHP manual which mentioned a caveat to ob_start(), but that didn't seem to apply to this use. If there is already output buffering in ZC, I would not risk competing with it (even though the manual says multiple layers of ob_start() can nest).

Plugin Contributions

This post got me thinking as I've had the same type problem with certain code within define statements. Having a need to use the "heredoc" syntax in a recent site, I got to wondering if it could be used in this type situation. Turns out it can!

For proof of concept using PHP 5.3 and v1.3.9d on a Linux Server, I tested using this file:

includes/languages/english/custom/shopping_cart.php

I changed this:

define('OUT_OF_STOCK_CANT_CHECKOUT', 'original text here');

to this:

$var = '<bold style="color:blue">this is a previously declared variable value</bold>';

define('OUT_OF_STOCK_CANT_CHECKOUT', <<<stringtext
    <div style="padding:10px; font-size:1.15em; color:green; background:wheat">First we provide a custom background color for part of this example.
    <br />
    This sentence uses 'single quotes' and also uses "double quotes" without any <strong style="color:black">\</strong> or <strong style="color:black">/</strong> slashing and it makes no difference.
    <br />
    &nbsp; star <strong>*</strong> &nbsp; dollar sign <strong>$</strong> &nbsp; comment <strong>#</strong> &nbsp; >>> [<a style="color:purple" href="#" onmouseover="alert('Alert window works fine!')">Mouseover this link</a>] <<<

<form>
    <input type="button" value="Click here to see what happens!"
    onclick="alert('This heredoc stuff could be handy.')">
    </form>

<br />

Watch out though if using $variables, which will be properly converted to their values.
    <br />
    (i.e. & #0036;var = $var) << must use the ASCII equivalent in the first var usage, forum won't let me code it that way
    </div>
    stringtext
    );

Then added to my Shopping Cart, more of a product then what was available to see the results.

The above is just some rough, trial & error code but gives a good indication of how "heredoc" can be used; for this situation and others.

Along with what is mentioned about about $variables, I also noticed using /* */ worked as regular comment tags so be careful about using that type syntax. There are a few other caveats to using "heredoc" but it is easy to learn.

* You can use anything you like; "stringtext" is just an example of a delimiter
    * You need to use <<< before the delimiter to tell PHP you want to enter heredoc mode
    * You can use your delimiter anywhere in the text, but not in the first column of a new line
    * At the end of the string and in the above type situations, just type the delimiter with no spaces around it
    Last edited by Website Rob; 19 May 2011 at 07:42 AM.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Yes, heredoc syntax can be used. Use it sparingly. It should be considered an approach suitable only for "advanced" programmers. Newbs could shoot themselves in the foot unknowingly.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Newbs could shoot themselves in the foot unknowingly.
    They do that anyway, with .htaccess files and other ways.

Besides, from what was originally posted I doubt a Newbie would understand what is being discussed. No offensive meant to Newbies but everyone is at different levels of knowledge and experience and no matter how much we know... many people know more.

Plugin Contributions

I'm not a newbie, and I have no idea what you're talking about.

Rob