Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: USPS Shipping Module - RateV4, IntlRateV2 - Support Thread

After some extensive testing I have found the the Optional Insurance Mod DOES in fact play nice with this USPS module.
    check it out here (it automatically tuns off if you select UPS, but works for USPS...)
    The optional ins. mod is an order total mod and is independent of the USPS shipping module.
    Now back to the volume checking "hack" of this USPS module...
    Last edited by mikestaps; 8 Sep 2011 at 09:36 PM. Reason: add in my test store url

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    I'm going to release an update which will allow you to easily customise the shipping service names using an updated language file. It allows for multi-language support if anyone wants to implement USPS in other languages.
    This would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    lindasdd

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mikestaps View Post
    After some extensive testing I have found the the Optional Insurance Mod DOES in fact play nice with this USPS module.
    check it out here (it automatically tuns off if you select UPS, but works for USPS...)
    The optional ins. mod is an order total mod and is independent of the USPS shipping module.
    Now back to the volume checking "hack" of this USPS module...
    You'll find that your method of implementation will require more 'hacks' of core zen-cart files. Thats why I re-tasked the weight field.

It's not just a matter of getting the field in the database and having it editable in the admin section. Now you either have to edit the shipping and/or order class to retrieve the volume field for the products array. Or you have to do another database lookup in the shipping module code to retrieve and add up the product volumes.

Once I've improved the framework for my module I will start looking at writing an improved shipping class that can properly handle volumes and drop shipping. I'm not at that stage yet...

Plugin Contributions

Hmm, what I would like about a separate volume field is that it would be easier for people to use.

The drawback is in maintaining the code because core files are being modified.

I'd like to hear from a few people on this. What do you think is better?

Plugin Contributions

Well, you know my vote!!! LOL

Plugin Contributions

Separate field definitely more user friendly.

Core file mods are not as user friendly for casual users, especially when it comes to zencart upgrade time to a different version.

Since I have the volume working at present, it's not an issue for me 'as-is' and we don't have a couple gazillion products to modify the weights on.

Optional insurance would be nice but it's difficult to implement since Stamps.com provides insurance for every domestic and international class and the USPS does not. I would like to be able to offer insurance as an option for domestic but require it for international. I looked at the other addon for that but didn't implement it for some reason or another. It may have been that it didn't play well in my sandbox and I didn't have the patience to troubleshoot.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com
    aka: ChainWeavers (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

I am trying to see if this mod would work for us for dimensional weight. Most of the products that are oversized are different sizes and we make the boxes to accommodate them so there is no standard box size.

The only way I see to set it up would be in the shipping mod configuration and not by product. Is there a way to set up the box size by product so that if the product is oversized it would bump it into dimensional weight?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by bigbusybee View Post
    I am trying to see if this mod would work for us for dimensional weight. Most of the products that are oversized are different sizes and we make the boxes to accommodate them so there is no standard box size.

The only way I see to set it up would be in the shipping mod configuration and not by product. Is there a way to set up the box size by product so that if the product is oversized it would bump it into dimensional weight?
    Have you had a look at this modules volume support?

I would ignore the box dimensions and look at it in terms of volume. Most shipping providers will charge based on overall volume unless the shape is really unusual.

The next version will allow you to set dimensions based on volume. As long as the quoted price is right you don't have to worry about the actual box dimensions. The minor differences in shape shouldn't effect price if it's configured right.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    Have you had a look at this modules volume support?

I would ignore the box dimensions and look at it in terms of volume. Most shipping providers will charge based on overall volume unless the shape is really unusual.
    Hi Marco,

I am new to Zen Cart but think that you created this module and thank you for it.

Regarding volume, I assume that it means shipping in volume which we don't.

The products that dimensional weight applies to are framed items that are large and relatively flat. It would not be unusual to have a box that is 26" x 38" x 5". We certainly wouldn't have them in volume as most of the items we ship are unframed and rolled in tubes. Some times it is more economical to ship large items via UPS or Fedex so we do that as well. However, International shipments will always go via USPS.

In order to use dimensional weight we would really need it to be per over sized product. We cannot compensate by just upping the weight of the item to the dimensional weight because Zone 1 & 2 Domestic use Balloon Weight versus Dimensional Weight for the other Zones and International shipping does not use dimensional weight at all.

Using the box size above the weight gets bumped up to 26 lbs. to Zone 8. If I marked the product at 26 lbs. the price for shipping to Canada would be $69.10 vs the correct price of $28.65 and to the UK $103.65 vs the correct price of $41.70.

Any ideas how we could make this work?

Plugin Contributions

My module allows for a volume value (cubic inches) which is separate from weight.

I have a test version of my module for dimensions based on volume.

What you can do is set volume high for items that are oversized. Then apply a set of dimensions for orders above volume x that allows you to qualify for balloon rate.

If you are interested in trying the test version of my module send me a pm with your email address. Just don't apply the test version to a live site. Use a test store for this sort of thing.

Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast