Plugin Contributions

Default Product Dimensions To Assist International Shipping

Any advice on best way to handle international shipments - example, some of the store products are larger than the largest international flat rate box, so if someone purchased one of those items, I would NOT want the flat rate boxes to show up as some of the shipping choices at checkout. However, I do not want to completely remove them, as they would be very suitable for some smaller items that would fit. How do others handle this situation? I'm looking into and trying to install the Numinix Product Fields module to see if adding dimensions would help, but struggling with that installation and have posted in their support forum for that product. Is this a solvable problem or will I need to remove those options from USPS shipping module? Am very interested to see any solutions, thank you!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Product Dimensions To Assist International Shipping

More information needs to be provided. Firstly, where are you located, and who do you use to do your shipping/mailing?

No effective shipping module can be configured UNLESS/UNTIL you have detailed knowledge of the rates your shipper charges, and precisely the METHOD they use to calculate these rates.

One of the isues with volumetric weight (a common formula in shipping when calculating rates), is that it is not easily configured in a core installation of zencart.

Simply putting additional fields into the products table will not help... Your shipping module then needs to be bespoke coded to draw in this data, and make appropriate calculations.

Conor Kerr (CEON) has a commercially available shipping module, but you will need to approach him directly for advice as the forum does not permit open discussions on commercially-available resources.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Hi, thank you, located in USA, using the USPS Shipping Module, with previous help here, it is set up free shipping for US 48 states and that part is all working great, anything outside of US 48 is getting charged. We had to get an ID with the Postal Service to get the rate calculations going in that module, so beyond that, am not sure what you are asking as far as method used to calculate. Had assumed that was done automatically. Sorry for ignorance on this, and certainly have alot to learn about it. As far as who does shipping, we do our own shipping. We package the orders and take them to Post Office. The problem I've noticed is that the International flat box or envelope rate comes up when I test ship to other countries as some of the selections, and for larger products this would not be right. My plan B would be to remove them from the selection if no alternatives, but was hoping for idea. Does this answer your questions? Thank you for your help.

Plugin Contributions

Any ideas of best way to handle? Thank you!

Plugin Contributions

Is it possible to just turn off the international flat rate boxes and envelopes for a particular category? That would solve it, too, if it is possible.

Plugin Contributions

Still no solution, have temporarily turned off the flat rate boxes/envs for international shipping but if anyone could point me in the right direction for solution it would be appreciated. Is there a way to have shipping set up per category, or could I set a zone per category, I just don't know enough about where to look for answers, thank you.

Plugin Contributions

Is there a way to set each category for mailing options? Example, for greeting cards, flat rate envelopes and boxes are ok, but a large painting or wall-plaque would not fit in those so the whole category would have those turned off. I've looked through the shipping modules but do not know what I'm doing or what to look for. How are large sized packages handled by others? Thank you.