Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Selling in the UK only

I wondered how to set it so that you sell in the UK only and you ship to the UK only...

I have started to delete all the zones but thats going to seriosly take me hours! Is there a quick way?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Selling in the UK only

If you know how to use phpMyAdmin, you could truncate the relevant tables, then re-populate with UK country and county data.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mumsbabymag View Post
    I wondered how to set it so that you sell in the UK only and you ship to the UK only...

I have started to delete all the zones but thats going to seriosly take me hours! Is there a quick way?
    Deleting most of your zones is not really a good idea. At some stage you may consider selling to continental EU countries - but your corresponding zones are deleted ???!!!

In Admin > Modules > Shipping you set up only one single shipping zone: UK.

Similar for payments. Admin > Modules > Payment: Configure payment modules to work only with UK. All payment modules can be set to work with single or with all zones.

Anyone who is not from the UK will then get a message like: "Sorry, we are not shipping to your region at this time"

If you want to set up UK sub-zones then you may want to follow schoolboy's advice

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by frank18 View Post

If you want to set up UK sub-zones then you may want to follow schoolboy's advice
    Yes... you can prevent checkout by configuring a zone for UK only, as Frank says. That's the fastest and simplest option.

However... much will depend on how you want to do your shipping.

For example, many UK courier services divide the UK up into pricing areas... UK Mainland, Scottish Highlands, Scottish Islands, Northern Ireland, UK Islands (such as Man, Scilly and Wight), and the Channel Islands.

What I have done in these cases is to remove all countries except UK. The whole lot. Everything. And all the "zones" (regions/states/provinces/ counties).

Then I load in all the UK counties - and you have to be careful here as there are different "understandings" of what is a county in the UK and what isn't "officially" a county. There is no such county as "South Gloucestershire", but try telling that to a bloke living in Cirencester! It is a Unitary District, but not a County.

In any event... once I have the counties loaded (and there is an Add-On that will load them), I set up the ZONE DEFINITIONS:
    UK Mainland,
    Scottish Highlands,
    Scottish Islands,
    Northern Ireland,
    UK Islands,
    Channel Islands

... and I then assign the relevant counties to their zone definition.

In this way, I can set up ths shipping per defined zone.

When a person registers, their COUNTY will be associated with a defined zone (Argyll and Bute will be located in Scottish Highlands Zone, and shipping will calculate accordingly).

It's a bit of a mission, but your shipping will be accurate.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Hi SB

I'm in a bit of a mess trying to sort this out. I would like my counties setup as you suggest, but I'd like some points clarified.

When you say you setup the ZONE DEFINITIONS, did you mean you created COUNTRIES named 'UK Mainland', etc? Because when I click ZONE DEFINITIONS, I get the option to select UK and then the list of counties (Zones) below.

Plugin Contributions

You can change the name of UK as a country to UK Mainland, and then set up the others as Countries with their own Counties e.g. 'UK Channel Islands' with the individual Islands as Counties: Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney, Sark, Herm, Jethou, Brecqhou, Lihou

For VAT purposes 'UK Channel Islands' would not be in the VAT zone.

Northern Ireland: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Derry, Tyrone

Scottish Islands (inhabited): Western Isles, Shetland Isles, Orkney Isles, Outer Hebrides, Skye, Bute, Arran, Islay, Mull, Great Cumbrae, Tiree, Seil, Luing, Jura, Coll, Lismore, Gigha, Colonsay, Eigg, Easdale, Kerrera, Rum, Ulva, Holy Isle, Isle of Ewe, Scalpay, Eilean Shona, Erraid, Lunga, Soay, Canna, Sanday,
    Danna, Gometra, Oronsay, Tanera Mor, Davaar, Eilean Ban, Inchcolm, South Rona, Eilean Donan, Sanda, Shuna

UK (other islands): Isle of Mann, Isle of Wight

Vger

Plugin Contributions

I'm with Wizer... a little confused. I am trying to set up something similar for the US.

I want to ship to the United States only (50 states) although I will probably want to add Mexico and Canada later. I also need to charge sales tax for anything shipped in the state of California since that is where I am. I will not charge tax to product shipped to any of the other 49 states.

I have fiddled around for a few hours now and am just not getting anywhere. Am I supposed to set up the US as a zone and California as a zone? Any help would be appreciated since I am trying to go live any day now.

Thank you.

Plugin Contributions

bacbladerunner - as you can see this is someone else's thread. Forum etiquette is to raise your own support thread and seek help there.

Vger

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by bacbladerunner View Post
    I have fiddled around for a few hours now and am just not getting anywhere. Am I supposed to set up the US as a zone and California as a zone?
    Really not appropriate to ask this in a thread that's about setting up for the UK.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Sorry folks.

I do try to respect not stealing a thread. I made a mistake thinking that I was just asking for more clarification on the same issue. I figured I could apply UK info to US settings, and not repeating a similar thread.

I will post a specific question.
    Thank you for the help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast