Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Mark product out of stock

I posted here a little while back with some code I had used to overrider the stock qty and replace it with a tick or cross.

hope that helps. If it is not quite what you are looking for, I went through the same process as I was trying to achieve a bit of a sophisticated check when checking the type of product options before showing this. - Still work in progress but it might get you started.

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173383

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ZL Conquistador View Post
    Yup, set to 1.

The ultimate I'm going for is to display the message, "Not in stock but available to order". This way customers know that I have to order the item.

I was under the impression thats what the "Mark product out of stock" field was for
    Perhaps you could add bright and bold "Not in stock but available to order" to your product description.

Plugin Contributions

Just curious, does this setting do anything for anybody here using 1.3.9h? I even tried it with the default template

Plugin Contributions

the setting you refer to only flags the stock in the cart and yes you can change the message to say what you want. I certainly would suggest " available to order " or "stock due shortly order now to avoid disappointment "

Going back to my code I referenced above in another post it should give you the answer you want if I have understood you correctly.

Basically it uses the settings in the config to show stock (which ordinarily would give you a number) but rather than show the qty it shows a tick or text if in stock and a cross or text if out of stock. This is on the product page.

If I have miss understood your question sorry, but hopefully that gives you some code to work with.

Plugin Contributions

I'm thinking this a a LOT of overkill.
    With today's search capabilities, unless you are custom painting their car, a customer can find something in stock elsewhere.
    Out of Stock is the new internet's goodbye.
    One of our customers' stock is in a constant state of flux and suppliers/manufactturers change availability more than clean-freaks change clothes. They simply state
    All Customers will receive their orders within one week of ordering. If the item is not in stock, you will be notified as to alternative availability.
    There is the occasional need to contact the customer, but the customer is never scared off by the out of stock message.

If it's custom made after the order, just say so.

Plugin Contributions

dbltoe

I agree with your reply. Does your client show/use the out of stock information on the product pages and in the shopping cart? We have been debating what is best practice and trying to reduce the frustration that is fed back from the customer, when we call them and they are told it is unfortunately not in stock but our site led them to believe it was, because it did not actually show them any info about stock and they assumed it was in stock.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ZL Conquistador View Post
    Yup, set to 1.

The ultimate I'm going for is to display the message, "Not in stock but available to order". This way customers know that I have to order the item.

I was under the impression thats what the "Mark product out of stock" field was for
    Am I missing something here? Do I have the wrong impression of what the "Mark product out of stock" field is designed to do? If not I would rather fix the code to function as designed and not have to worry about patching it for every update.

Plugin Contributions

ZL Conquistador

that is the beauty of zencart. You can, with a little bit of thought, get it to do what you want.

"Mark product out of stock" from the admin/config/stock menu shows up in the shopping cart. default is red *** appearing next to the product name and qty.

The message that appears in the shopping cart in red box is controlled in the language/english/shopping_cart.php file. Change this to the message you want:

define('OUT_OF_STOCK_CAN_CHECKOUT', 'Products marked with ' . STOCK_MARK_PRODUCT_OUT_OF_STOCK . ' are out of stock.<br />Items not in stock will be placed on backorder.');

If you want a similar message to appear on the product page suggest you add a new define

define('TEXT_PRODUCT_NOT_IN_STOCK','your message here');
    define('TEXT_PRODUCT_IN_STOCK','your message here');

put it in the language/english/product_info.php file for ease of remembering what page it is on.

If you are worried about being over written on every update then use the template overide feature -(from your question I am assuming you have not worked this out so forgive me if I am wrong and here is a very quick summary of what to do) - basically create a folder with a name for your site eg. "mysite" in the includes/templates directory and copy the template_info.php file from the default templates folder and edit the name inside it to be the same as the name of the folder you just created. Then from admin/tools change the template.

now copy the tpl_product_info_display.php file from default/templates to the new folder you made i.e includes/templates/mysite/templates/tpl_product_info_display.php

then any changes made to code on the product info page will not get over ridden when there is an update.

Now add this code in the tpl_product_info_display.php file I have done it around line 111 just after: <!--eof Product details list -->

<!--in stock status -->
    <div id="stockstatus">
    <?php if (($flag_show_product_info_quantity == 1)) { echo(($flag_show_product_info_quantity == 1) ?
    '<a>' . ($products_quantity > 0 ? TEXT_PRODUCT_IN_STOCK : TEXT_PRODUCT_NOT_IN_STOCK) . '</a>' : '') . "\n";
    }
    ?> </div>
    <!-- end of status block -->

use the defines to determine the message you want.

use the css #stockstatus {} to position, colour etc. I have used images in my define so get ticks and crosses as well as text.

Hope that helps.

by the way I am very new to this coding game so if someone knows a simpler solution then please help. This seems to work efficiently for me.

All the best

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12