Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Twitter sidebox Cached

And thank you for such a great mod paulm!

Plugin Contributions

Hi,
    I've recently completed a fresh installation of Zen Cart 1.5 that I'm busy customising and I've now installed the Twitter cached sidebox. It works a treat - but the heading display is incorrect on all pages apart from Home and Home :: Music CDs :: First Test Product. Instead of displaying 'Tweets', the header displays maybe 'Who's OnlineTweets' or 'TestimonialsTweets', depending, apparently, on the heading of the Sidebox that's just above it. Can't figure out why this should be or what would cause it. Any help, please?

It's on a test site, enterprise.terrassl.net/~simplyth/
    I'm using ZenFlavor's Premium 9a template
    I'm adjusting colours, sideboxes, etc. to suit my own needs.
    I've looked in the FAQs but haven't managed to dig anything up.

TIA,
    Gavin

Plugin Contributions

OK, I've now 'got round' the header text display problem. I had disabled the display of the tweety bird image, which was obviously acting as some sort of a placeholder. I've now reinstated it as a transparent png and all is well.

Another problem is, though - the filtering of '@' is too aggressive. It doesn't just filter '@' in position 1 - it filters it anywhere. How do I change this, please, so the code only filters tweets sent directly to one user...but it still allows tweets that mention a user?

Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gavwright View Post
    the filtering of '@' is too aggressive. It doesn't just filter '@' in position 1 - it filters it anywhere. How do I change this, please, so the code only filters tweets sent directly to one user...but it still allows tweets that mention a user?
    Can you try the following:

Change this (in tpl_twitter_cached_sidebox.php line 19):
    PHP Code:
          if ( TWITTER_BOX_CACHED_FILTER == '' || (strpos ($twitterTextTWITTER_BOX_CACHED_FILTER) === FALSE) ){ 
    To this:
    PHP Code:
          if ( TWITTER_BOX_CACHED_FILTER == '' || (strpos ($twitterTextTWITTER_BOX_CACHED_FILTER) !== 0) ){ 
    And let me know if it works?

Plugin Contributions

Splendid, sir - absolutely splendid! Works like a dream.

Thank you very much for that - it helps to keep the website feed more professional :-)

Gavin

Plugin Contributions

This is more of a CSS question, but how do I get the font-size of the links in the sidebox smaller (like the links that say how long ago the tweet was posted)? I've messed around in styles_twiiter_cached_sidebox.css without any luck.

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Hello,

I've been running this add-on (latest version) for about a week now. It can be seen at my site: http://tinyurl.com/3uttrvu

The problem is, about 50% of the time the twitter sidebox does not display any tweets. Nothing is displayed in the sidebox except the "follow us" button. Sometimes it works perfectly while other times it doesnt, its really a tossup. When it displays nothing, it can sometimes be fixed by manually refreshing the twitter cache through domain.com/$refresh_twitter_cache but that doesn't work all the time either. I shouldn't have to be doing that all the time anyway.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get this to work better for me? Perhaps some settings need to be adjusted or something?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lolwaut View Post
    The problem is, about 50% of the time the twitter sidebox does not display any tweets. Nothing is displayed in the sidebox except the "follow us" button. Sometimes it works perfectly while other times it doesnt, its really a tossup.
    I am not sure, but it seems that the twitter service is regularly down and responds with invalid xml then, maybe this problem is related (of course when the service is down the the cache should be used by the application, EDIT: but it might pick up the invalid xml and even cache that).

Do you have any errors in your php error log related to the twitter sidebox?
    Last edited by paulm; 15 Jun 2012 at 11:30 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by paulm View Post
    I am not sure, but it seems that the twitter service is regularly down and responds with invalid xml then, maybe this problem is related (of course when the service is down the the cache should be used by the application, EDIT: but it might pick up the invalid xml and even cache that).

Do you have any errors in your php error log related to the twitter sidebox?
    There are no php error logs related to the twitter sidebox. However, I did take a look at twitter_cache.xml. When the sidebox displays nothing, this is what the XML file looks like:

Code:
    <hash><error>Rate limit exceeded. Clients may not make more than 150 requests per hour.</error><request>/statuses/user_timeline/fredssupply.xml?count=25</request></hash>
    Why am I exceeding the rate limit? I thought that was the whole point of having the cache.... please advise and thank you for your help.
    Last edited by Ajeh; 21 Jun 2012 at 03:14 AM. Reason: requested

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lolwaut View Post
    Why am I exceeding the rate limit? I thought that was the whole point of having the cache.... please advise and thank you for your help.
    By the way, my website is currently low traffic, with less than 100 hits per day. And my Twitter account is brand new with a total of 5 tweets and 5 followers. I barely have used it. So, I doubt this is a traffic-related issue.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast